Got a new kayak

Alternatively called "The Lounge"
RiverguyVT

Got a new kayak

Post by RiverguyVT »

Whoo-hooo!
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Got a new kayak

Post by awesome guy »

What kind?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

awesome guy wrote:What kind?
A Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100. (desert camo)
Werner paddle - Tybee Hooked

I've just gotten to where my Dagger RPM is difficult for this old man to get in and out of. I may have to start fishing again, after a 10+ year layoff. Took the thing out on a maiden voyage in Sandy River Reservoir and there were bass EVERYWHERE. Paddled quietly up on one that had to be 8+ lbs in about 1ft of water... :P It was HUGE. Got a real good look at him
Salute the Marines
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:

I've just gotten to where my Dagger RPM is difficult for this old man to get in and out of. I may have to start fishing again, after a 10+ year layoff. Took the thing out on a maiden voyage in Sandy River Reservoir and there were bass EVERYWHERE. Paddled quietly up on one that had to be 8+ lbs in about 1ft of water... [emoji14] It was HUGE. Got a real good look at him
Nice! I have a Ride 135, love my wildy but will get a Bonafide this fall. I've got a Werner Shuna, love that paddle too.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

awesome guy wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

I've just gotten to where my Dagger RPM is difficult for this old man to get in and out of. I may have to start fishing again, after a 10+ year layoff. Took the thing out on a maiden voyage in Sandy River Reservoir and there were bass EVERYWHERE. Paddled quietly up on one that had to be 8+ lbs in about 1ft of water... [emoji14] It was HUGE. Got a real good look at him
Nice! I have a Ride 135, love my wildy but will get a Bonafide this fall. I've got a Werner Shuna, love that paddle too.
I may have to start fishing again.

http://www.canoekayak.com/gear/5-things ... sIUtAqh.97
Salute the Marines
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Have you ever fished Pocahontas St Pk?
Salute the Marines
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:Have you ever fished Pocahontas St Pk?
Nope, I'm primarily in the river or bay.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Did you get it out this weekend?
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

The biggest bass I ever caught was in swift creek reservoir' literally under 360 from the bank (in Powhatan per AG). I'd take the kayak there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
The biggest bass I ever caught was in swift creek reservoir' literally under 360 from the bank (in Powhatan per AG). I'd take the kayak there.

Huh.

Surprising. I paddled around, loved the scenery (which is really what I'm all about anywa), but the place didn't seem "fishy" to me.

I may get a license now for the first time in years and years. I'm sure I'll need to replace all my lines, clean out the tackle box.

I'll give it (Pocahontas) a shot & report back... 8-)

Edit. Hell bells. Swift creek res vs swift creek lake. Yes. I've heard the res has some big ones.

Hey, AG- did you spring for the "lifetime" license, or do you go Year by year? I'm thinking the lifetime deal may be worth it at 3.5x the cost of only one year...
Last edited by RiverguyVT on Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salute the Marines
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Huh.

Surprising. I paddled around, loved the scenery (which is really what I'm all about anywa), but the place didn't seem "fishy" to me.

I may get a license now for the first time in years and years. I'm sure I'll need to replace all my lines, clean out the tackle box.

Hey, AG- did you spring for the "lifetime" license, or do you go Year by year? I'm thinking the lifetime deal may be worth it at 3.5x the cost of only one year...
I don't and I should get it. I'm sure I'll move out of state as soon as I get it.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

awesome guy wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Huh.

I don't and I should get it. I'm sure I'll move out of state as soon as I get it.
Last I got a freshwater license, I think it was 12-13 bucks. In the $45 range now?! Whaaaaat?
Makes $160 lifetime seem a bargain
Salute the Marines
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Huh.

Last I got a freshwater license, I think it was 12-13 bucks. In the $45 range now?! Whaaaaat?
Makes $160 lifetime seem a bargain
42 is salt and fresh. Fresh alone is like 22, though you should get both here. Saltwater fishing crushes freshwater.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

I'm just never in the salt.

You're right.. just looked it up. I must've been pricing the combined one
Salute the Marines
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

The kayak you got is really more of a saltwater boat. Great for riding over waves. It'll be a little sketchy against rocks in the river.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Huh.

Edit. Hell bells. Swift creek res vs swift creek lake. Yes. I've heard the res has some big ones.

I don't know if it is considered the reservoir or the lake, but it was under the 360 west bridge over that body of water. Ashbrook is to the left and woodlake is to the right. The road is only 5-6 ft above the water.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

I don't know if it is considered the reservoir or the lake, but it was under the 360 west bridge over that body of water. Ashbrook is to the left and woodlake is to the right. The road is only 5-6 ft above the water.
Yeah, my bad. When I first read it (coffee?) I thought you said "lake." You said "Res"
The Swift Creek Res is the huge one on 360; Swift Creek Lake is that damned up little stream pond inside Pocahontas St Park boundaries. THAT is where I had gone and thought wasn't real fishy (though pretty).
Salute the Marines
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:

Yeah, my bad. When I first read it (coffee?) I thought you said "lake." You said "Res"
The Swift Creek Res is the huge one on 360; Swift Creek Lake is that damned up little stream pond inside Pocahontas St Park boundaries. THAT is where I had gone and thought wasn't real fishy (though pretty).
I read that Pocahontas is overrun with gizzard shad.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Sandy River Res (near Farmville) struck me as being bassy as all heck.

Okay. I got a rod holder. What else would you recommend for outfitting the kayak for bass fishing in small lakes and the Upper James?

Huguenot flat water
Chesdin
Swift Creek
Swift Creek Res
Swift Creek lake
Briery Creek lake
Etc

:?:
Salute the Marines
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:Sandy River Res (near Farmville) struck me as being bassy as all heck.

Okay. I got a rod holder. What else would you recommend for outfitting the kayak for bass fishing in small lakes and the Upper James?

Huguenot flat water
Chesdin
Swift Creek
Swift Creek Res
Swift Creek lake
Briery Creek lake
Etc

:?:
I've only fished Sandy once and pulled a 3.25 pound bass out of it. I don't bass fish often at all.

For gear; rod holder, anchor trolley, perhaps stakeout pole, anchor, fish finder. Anything else is a player preference. I have 4 flush mount rod holders, tracks for 4 more surface mount holders, anchor trollies on both sides, cam cleats mounted on track, retractable pliers holder, visipole, panfish portrait to hold my Bluetooth speaker, another mount for GoPro, and of course a fish finder. It's all optional as to how you rig it.