SJWs are up in arms about last night's Orville (SPOILERS!)

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

SJWs are up in arms about last night's Orville (SPOILERS!)

Post by BigDave »

Orville is a half-serious, half-parody Star Trek-type show. It's overwhelmingly better than the dystopian nightmare that Star Trek has become.

In last night's episode, two members of an all-male alien species called the Moclans give birth to a female. As it turns out, the species is not entirely male - it's just that females are extremely rare - one is born every 75 years. And being a female is considered to be a birth defect by this species and gender reassignment surgery is performed soon after birth.

Well, needless to say, this has ticked off the transgender crowd because, of course, gender is more than just biology. Sure, (nearly) every member of this species may have male anatomy, but that doesn't make them male ... they aren't male unless/until they grow up and choose to be male! But the show falsely claims that gender is only about whether you have male anatomy or female anatomy ... oh the humanity moclanity.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/09/the-or ... 201879087/
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Re: SJWs are up in arms about last night's Orville (SPOILERS

Post by Major Kong »

I watched it. I enjoyed it very much.

I was thinking the same thing...this is going to cheese off more than a few swj's.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

BigDave wrote:Orville is a half-serious, half-parody Star Trek-type show. It's overwhelmingly better than the dystopian nightmare that Star Trek has become.

In last night's episode, two members of an all-male alien species called the Moclans give birth to a female. As it turns out, the species is not entirely male - it's just that females are extremely rare - one is born every 75 years. And being a female is considered to be a birth defect by this species and gender reassignment surgery is performed soon after birth.

Well, needless to say, this has ticked off the transgender crowd because, of course, gender is more than just biology. Sure, (nearly) every member of this species may have male anatomy, but that doesn't make them male ... they aren't male unless/until they grow up and choose to be male! But the show falsely claims that gender is only about whether you have male anatomy or female anatomy ... oh the humanity moclanity.

I am watching it but have not watched last nights show, they need more comedy in the show but Seth is good at needling people so I knew something was up with the gay ugly guys hatching a baby
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

cwtcr hokie wrote:I am watching it but have not watched last nights show, they need more comedy in the show but Seth is good at needling people so I knew something was up with the gay ugly guys hatching a baby
Is it really "gay" if there is only one gender in the species?

The new Star Trek series has a main character who is a gay human.

Star Trek The Next Generation had an episode with a single-gender species, and so this one is almost just an homage to that more than it is anything ground-breaking. In the TNG episode, they said that some members of the species tend to think of themselves as one gender or the other and they are given psychological treatment to overcome that condition.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

BigDave wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:I am watching it but have not watched last nights show, they need more comedy in the show but Seth is good at needling people so I knew something was up with the gay ugly guys hatching a baby
Is it really "gay" if there is only one gender in the species?

The new Star Trek series has a main character who is a gay human.

Star Trek The Next Generation had an episode with a single-gender species, and so this one is almost just an homage to that more than it is anything ground-breaking. In the TNG episode, they said that some members of the species tend to think of themselves as one gender or the other and they are given psychological treatment to overcome that condition.
these days every show has to have a homosexual character so I thought it was just keeping with that theme
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

LMAO.. "poor understanding of gender"... hahahahahahahahahahahaha EVERY expert and doctor and researcher will tell you that Transexual/gender "fluidity" is bullshit- a mental disorder and not gender science.. EVERY expert. It's like saying Alabama has a "poor understanding of winning football", and Temple has the correct understanding. It is that absurd.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

i thought the episode was excellent. It explored a number of topics, gene roddenberry style:

* gender identity
* feminism
* sensitivity to other cultures
* disagreements within marriage and how to deal with them

and contrasted then together against each other expertly. oh.. and of course, it had the normal seth mcfarlane humor in it.

i also really liked the ending. something star trek never would have done.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HvilleHokie wrote:i thought the episode was excellent. It explored a number of topics, gene roddenberry style:

* gender identity
* feminism
* sensitivity to other cultures
* disagreements within marriage and how to deal with them

and contrasted then together against each other expertly. oh.. and of course, it had the normal seth mcfarlane humor in it.

i also really liked the ending. something star trek never would have done.

that is good, but some of your brethren snowflakes did not see it that way, thus why we call the snowflakes morons

the show is fine, just needs more comedy
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Watched the first episode and thought it was meh. Doesn't sound like I missed much on the second episode either.

Oh yeah, their space ship also looks retarded.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

BigDave wrote:Orville is a half-serious, half-parody Star Trek-type show. It's overwhelmingly better than the dystopian nightmare that Star Trek has become.

That's past my bedtime.

Also tried comrade detective. Not my cup of tea, but I can see how you guys like it.

The best time-suck/tv viewing experience of recent memory is Ozarks on Netflix. Snowfall of FX was also good, with season 1 of Narcos earning mention.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Vienna_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: libertarian

Post by Vienna_Hokie »

Wow...now we are concerned about the gender fluidity of fictional beings from non-existent species. Just wow.
Looks like the only thing 1984 got wrong was the date.