Politics are part of NFL's problem

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Politics are part of NFL's problem

Post by nolanvt »

Last year, we saw Kaepernick take an impromptu knee to start his protest, but the lack of interest during the early part of the season was mostly due to the election given the ratings bounce back in Nov. Kaepernick's protesting at the time wasn't a significant factor because not enough fatigue had built up with the public, and more people watched football last year while Kap played than when he was on the bench.

This offseason and leading into this season, politics was ramped up into high gear with the Kaepernick nonsense, especially with ESPN leading the charge. I can see how part of the ratings decline this year can be attributed to politics because it's a completely different dynamic this year. I was completely fatigued by the whole thing and would rather not have politics in my sports.

Between politics, ESPN, and quite frankly, questionable rule changes and more sloppy play are hurting the NFL. Goodell is not doing enough to get these issues under control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Politics are part of NFL's problem

Post by awesome guy »

Still can't admit you were just wrong.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:Still can't admit you were just wrong.
So you disagree politics is a problem currently in the NFL? Interesting.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:

I told you that last year, you're just wrong and not skilled enough to play word games around that.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

I told you that last year, you're just wrong and not skilled enough to play word games around that.
And as we saw, ratings came back up last year after the election. If it was all Kaepernick, the ratings wouldn't have had that much of a spike.

This offseason has had a completely different dynamic and political charge to it. That's going to alienate people. Of course, it's not all because of one issue. Rule changes and sloppy play are contributing as well.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

And as we saw, ratings came back up last year after the election. If it was all Kaepernick, the ratings wouldn't have had that much of a spike.

This offseason has had a completely different dynamic and political charge to it. That's going to alienate people. Of course, it's not all because of one issue. Rule changes and sloppy play are contributing as well.

Another swing and a miss Ace. Better luck next time. It's hilarious how you're claiming the playoffs were really a late season return.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Another swing and a miss Ace. Better luck next time. It's hilarious how you're claiming the playoffs were really a late season return.
The playoffs aren't in November.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

The playoffs aren't in November.

That's when the typical late season viewership surge starts Dopey.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:Last year, we saw Kaepernick take an impromptu knee to start his protest, but the lack of interest during the early part of the season was mostly due to the election given the ratings bounce back in Nov. Kaepernick's protesting at the time wasn't a significant factor because not enough fatigue had built up with the public, and more people watched football last year while Kap played than when he was on the bench.

This offseason and leading into this season, politics was ramped up into high gear with the Kaepernick nonsense, especially with ESPN leading the charge. I can see how part of the ratings decline this year can be attributed to politics because it's a completely different dynamic this year. I was completely fatigued by the whole thing and would rather not have politics in my sports.

Between politics, ESPN, and quite frankly, questionable rule changes and more sloppy play are hurting the NFL. Goodell is not doing enough to get these issues under control.

I agree that the cumulative effect has worn on the average sports fan. The continued move to the left by sports media and expanded players positions on politics have turned fans off. I think the Kap issue last year brought this front and center, and various activities since have taken it over the hump.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

nolanvt wrote:Last year, we saw Kaepernick take an impromptu knee to start his protest, but the lack of interest during the early part of the season was mostly due to the election given the ratings bounce back in Nov. Kaepernick's protesting at the time wasn't a significant factor because not enough fatigue had built up with the public, and more people watched football last year while Kap played than when he was on the bench.

You're right, but how are you just now figuring this out? I remember back when Orin Hatch wanted to get involved in regulating the BCS because Utah was not part of a BCS conference. People on both the left and right said that politics needed to stay out of sports because sports is (was) one of the few things that could bring people together and make them forget about their political differences. Suddenly the left has forgotten or abandoned this notion. EVERYTHING has to be politicized now.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:

You're right, but how are you just now figuring this out? I remember back when Orin Hatch wanted to get involved in regulating the BCS because Utah was not part of a BCS conference. People on both the left and right said that politics needed to stay out of sports because sports is (was) one of the few things that could bring people together and make them forget about their political differences. Suddenly the left has forgotten or abandoned this notion. EVERYTHING has to be politicized now.
Figuring what out? Politics in sports? I would generally prefer to separate them, and if I ran a team, I would tell my players that they can't engage in political activism on company time (e.g. No anthem protests), but are generally free to do what they wish on their own time within reason.

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

nolanvt wrote:

you vehemently denied that last year, I can count on you for the flip flop though, get some principles dude
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

you vehemently denied that last year, I can count on you for the flip flop though, get some principles dude
Correct.

But he was just trolling then as he's trolling now.
Attila T Hun

Post by Attila T Hun »

kaperdick is a dick.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Ratings did not come back up- you are lying. The good games might have been higher, but the week 15 Thursday game IIRC was the lowest rated TV game in 30 years. Stop lying. "ratings went back up" is bullshit. They stunk all year
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

I denied Kaepernick's impact last year because it didn't exist at that time based on the data.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

I denied Kaepernick's impact last year because it didn't exist at that time based on the data.

LOL
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

You're just the boards treasure.......keep em coming.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Sports serves as a break from reality for many people. Infest it with political BS, and alienating customers is a forgone conclusion.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Compared to CTE, it is ridiculous to suggest that the NFL's political stance, to the extent it even exists, is even in the same conversation when considering the outlook of the league.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:

Sports serves as a break from reality for many people. Infest it with political BS, and alienating customers is a forgone conclusion.
The MLB and NBA players and league have introduced politics to the conversation, yet they are not having the same "problems."

That said, the NFL's popularity still exceeds baseball and basketball to a great extent.*

*But Richard Sherman and I know (along with the NFL) that this is due to gambling.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:

The MLB and NBA players and league have introduced politics to the conversation, yet they are not having the same "problems."

That said, the NFL's popularity still exceeds baseball and basketball to a great extent.*

*But Richard Sherman and I know (along with the NFL) that this is due to gambling.

I don't watch the NBA or MLB anymore.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:

Let me guess - because libruls?

HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:

Let me guess - because libruls?

Keep pretending that politics + sports is a winning formula. But no, I stopped watching the NBA because it bores me. Rules changes and too many playoff games have sapped my interest. I used to follow the MLB religiously, but the strikes killed my enthusiasm. Plus, the Reds suck.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

HokieJoe wrote:Keep pretending that politics + sports is a winning formula. But no, I stopped watching the NBA because it bores me. Rules changes and too many playoff games have sapped my interest. I used to follow the MLB religiously, but the strikes killed my enthusiasm. Plus, the Reds suck.
I haven't watched a NBA game on TV since the days of Elvin Hayes and Wes Unseld...I have seen a few Suns games in person but that was as a guest. I'm just not interested.

Even though I grew up playing baseball I can't watch one on TV...it's so boring on the tube. In the stands though I thoroughly enjoy it. Baseball, IMHO, doesn't translate well to TV. The same can be said for hockey.

I love watching football on the tube...right now I'm watching ECU@UConn...watching crappy college football teams to me is more entertaining than pro football most of the time.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.