Anybody ever tried a High Deductible Health Plan?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Anybody ever tried a High Deductible Health Plan?

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Not exactly sure how it works, but I'm in for 2018.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Re: Anybody ever tried a High Deductible Health Plan?

Post by HokieHam »

ip_law-hokie wrote:Not exactly sure how it works, but I'm in for 2018.
How high is the deductible?

Why are you in? Insurance rates that were supposed to go down because your boy said so not happening?
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieHam wrote:

Why are you in? Insurance rates that were supposed to go down because your boy said so not happening?

Deductible is $2500. As I understand it, firm is putting up $1500 and I'm paying $282 per month. $5000 out of pocket maximum. As I understand it, everything is covered from 0-$1500 and 5000+, but I'm not really sure.

If I don't go to the doctor, I come out ahead.

I wasn't going to bring up the failure of Trump and Congressional Republicans to do anything to fix our healthcare system.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Vienna_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: libertarian

Post by Vienna_Hokie »

I am in one and I love it.

My premiums are a fraction of what the standard group plan is here. I pay everything out of a health savings account up to $3500 a year, then it's a 80/20 share to $6k. Contributions to the HSA are pre-tax and it does not expire like an FSA.

Been in the plan for 3 years and have saved (difference between what I would have paid in premiums and co-pays vs what I paid in premiums and actual payments) over $3,500 as a result. At this point I don't need to even contribute to the HSA because the three years have built up enough to cover my yearly out of pocket max for more than 2 years.

It works because the consumer views it as their money and makes better choices than a traditional co-pay program.
Looks like the only thing 1984 got wrong was the date.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:

Deductible is $2500. As I understand it, firm is putting up $1500 and I'm paying $282 per month. $5000 out of pocket maximum. As I understand it, everything is covered from 0-$1500 and 5000+, but I'm not really sure.

I wasn't going to bring up the failure of Trump and Congressional Republicans to do anything to fix our healthcare system.
I have basically the same thing (and have had it since before Obamacare). This is pretty common nowadays. Yes, you are correct as you describe the plan (you pay nothing for the first $1500 and come out ahead if you rarely go to the doctor).
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

not sure what you had before but that is not high deductible, that is lower to standard these days. A true high deductible plan has like a 7,500 or higher deductible with a higher max out of pocket, for those of us that do not go to the doctor much or ever it is awesome as the premiums are a ton lower. Of course Obummercare wiped out almost all of those plans.

A combined $ 5-10k max out of pocket total is standard these days
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
not sure what you had before but that is not high deductible, that is lower to standard these days. A true high deductible plan has like a 7,500 or higher deductible with a higher max out of pocket, for those of us that do not go to the doctor much or ever it is awesome as the premiums are a ton lower. Of course Obummercare wiped out almost all of those plans.

2,500 is for a single employee, nobody else. That is the way they describe it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ieatbacon

Post by ieatbacon »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

Right. That is a High-deductible plan according to the IRS.

Access to an HSA is a huge benefit. It can double as a retirement account if you contribute more money than you use - there's no penalty for non-medical withdrawals at retirement age and most HSAs have investment options.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

yes, that deductible is the normal one now and most plans are higher than that. I have been setting up yearly health benefits for over 20 years. First it started with not paying 100% of the premium, employee pays some, now that many plans are approaching 50% employee portion of the premium or even higher your only option is to bump the deductible and max out of pocket (co-pay) to keep the premium expense to the company at a decent level.

That is why I laugh at your strident support of national health care and people that say you can cut a ton of costs out of the H/C system to make the premiums decrease..... in reality who takes the cut as nobody involved will and the reality is it takes dollars to get a med degree, to make new drugs and to run very large facilities
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

yes, that deductible is the normal one now and most plans are higher than that. I have been setting up yearly health benefits for over 20 years. First it started with not paying 100% of the premium, employee pays some, now that many plans are approaching 50% employee portion of the premium or even higher your only option is to bump the deductible and max out of pocket (co-pay) to keep the premium expense to the company at a decent level.

That is why I laugh at your strident support of national health care and people that say you can cut a ton of costs out of the H/C system to make the premiums decrease..... in reality who takes the cut as nobody involved will and the reality is it takes dollars to get a med degree, to make new drugs and to run very large facilities
Don’t follow, but OK.

ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

ieatbacon wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

Access to an HSA is a huge benefit. It can double as a retirement account if you contribute more money than you use - there's no penalty for non-medical withdrawals at retirement age and most HSAs have investment options.
Thank you for this. And you take your contribution with you if you leave your job, right? Like an 401(k). That's what I'm hearing.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

It makes sense if you're young/healthy (and most importantly - no kids) and can afford a monster deductible worst case.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:It makes sense if you're young/healthy (and most importantly - no kids) and can afford a monster deductible worst case.
I agree.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:

We changed from an insurance plan based on just our company to signing up with ADP. It’s a much larger pool. I pay $1 a month but my deductible is $6,500. Unfortunately since 2015, I was diagnosed with a pretty bad disease that came close to ending HokieHam. It’s under control now but it’s done it’s damage.

My worry is for my family. The premiums for a family are $1,683.00/month. Who can afford that? So they have crap insurance and I can only hope they stay relatively healthy. We are looking into Direct Primary Healthcare. That seems really promising. Keep your beloved government out of it altogether.

Republicans are morons. They don’t march lock step like the jackbooted Dems.......
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HokieFanDC

Re: Anybody ever tried a High Deductible Health Plan?l

Post by HokieFanDC »

ieatbacon wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

Yep, there’s a simple table that lists the minimum deductible and max out of pocket for single/family.
It’s only been around for 13-14 years, so understandable why it’s confusing. :roll:
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:It makes sense if you're young/healthy (and most importantly - no kids) and can afford a monster deductible worst case.
Kids make it expensive no mater what. We actually had a pretty god plan last year, $1,500 per month for a family of 4, zero deductible, $5k max out of pocket. We didn’t even get close to the max.
This year, that goes up to $2,100/month. :shock:
So now, we’ve got to decide if we want to try and stick with the same premium and risk the higher deductible that comes with it. Ocare roulette, spin the wheel and take your chances.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
Kids make it expensive no mater what. We actually had a pretty god plan last year, $1,500 per month for a family of 4, zero deductible, $5k max out of pocket. We didn’t even get close to the max.
This year, that goes up to $2,100/month. :shock:
So now, we’ve got to decide if we want to try and stick with the same premium and risk the higher deductible that comes with it. Ocare roulette, spin the wheel and take your chances.
Spin the wheel.

BigDave

Post by BigDave »

IP, worth noting is that if your employer provides you with an FSA (that's what it's called when your employer pays the first $1500 of your deductible), you are ineligible for an HSA. I detest that rule passionately. If my employer simply gave me the contribution in cash, then I could filter all of my medical expenses through an HSA using pre-tax dollars. My wife is able to have an HSA, but next year her employer is going to the same kind of plan you have ... except that they are only paying a measly $500. So because they are paying that $500, she can't filter everything through an HSA any more.

(Obviously, the employer prefers to not just give you the $1500 because if your employees are mostly 20-somethings and maybe up to mid-30s, they are going to spend well under the $1500. With an FSA, the employer gets to keep the unused amount, whereas with an HSA, it's your money to either use for medical expenses in the future or roll over into something else.)
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

BigDave wrote:IP, worth noting is that if your employer provides you with an FSA (that's what it's called when your employer pays the first $1500 of your deductible), you are ineligible for an HSA. I detest that rule passionately. If my employer simply gave me the contribution in cash, then I could filter all of my medical expenses through an HSA using pre-tax dollars. My wife is able to have an HSA, but next year her employer is going to the same kind of plan you have ... except that they are only paying a measly $500. So because they are paying that $500, she can't filter everything through an HSA any more.

(Obviously, the employer prefers to not just give you the $1500 because if your employees are mostly 20-somethings and maybe up to mid-30s, they are going to spend well under the $1500. With an FSA, the employer gets to keep the unused amount, whereas with an HSA, it's your money to either use for medical expenses in the future or roll over into something else.)
You sure about the first part? I get 1500 from employer and I signed up for 100 a month for the HSA.(?).

Beats me. Insurance policies and regulations are more complex than our tax code.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

This is where we miss 80... wasn't he in that field?
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:This is where we miss 80... wasn't he in that field?
He was in the field of throwing temper tantrums if he disagreed with you.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:IP, worth noting is that if your employer provides you with an FSA (that's what it's called when your employer pays the first $1500 of your deductible), you are ineligible for an HSA. I detest that rule passionately. If my employer simply gave me the contribution in cash, then I could filter all of my medical expenses through an HSA using pre-tax dollars. My wife is able to have an HSA, but next year her employer is going to the same kind of plan you have ... except that they are only paying a measly $500. So because they are paying that $500, she can't filter everything through an HSA any more.

You sure about the first part? I get 1500 from employer and I signed up for 100 a month for the HSA.(?).

Beats me. Insurance policies and regulations are more complex than our tax code.

Yes. Please see https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p969.pdf

On page 4, one of the requirements is "Other employee health plans. An employee covered by an HDHP and a health FSA or an HRA that pays or reimburses qualified medical expenses generally can’t make contributions to an HSA. Health FSAs and HRAs are discussed later."

(And actually, what I have called an FSA apparently the IRS calls an HRA. If your employer pays for it and doesn't deduct it from your salary, it's an HRA. If your employer deducts the contributions from your salary, it's an FSA.)
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

I don't know al the details, BigDave, but I am in process of setting up a HSA now. Somebody may have given you bad info, it may be something with your plan, or maybe I'm not supposed to have the right to a HSA, and I am. But in any event, my 401(k) provider has confirmed that I'm able to create a HSA account. Might be something worth looking into.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

I don't know al the details, BigDave, but I am in process of setting up a HSA now. Somebody may have given you bad info, it may be something with your plan, or maybe I'm not supposed to have the right to a HSA, and I am. But in any event, my 401(k) provider has confirmed that I'm able to create a HSA account. Might be something worth looking into.
Although it appears my firm is contributing directly to my HSA, as opposed to a FSA (?). So you are correct.

Also:

You can't contribute if...

You don't have an HSA-eligible health plan

A health plan is HSA-eligible if it meets the criteria for a high-deductible health plan, as defined by IRS Publication 969 (below).

You're age 65 or older and enrolled in Medicare

But you can still use your HSA to pay certain Medicare premiums, deductibles, co-payments, and coinsurance (excluding Medicare supplemental insurance or "Medigap" policies).

You have a health care Flexible Spending Account (FSA) or grace period coverage

Unless it is a limited purpose or a post-deductible FSA. Consult your tax advisor or IRS Publication 969 for more information.
ElbertoHokie
Party: Independent

Post by ElbertoHokie »

Company I just signed on to work with contributes $1000 to HSA. I've still got $900 in an HSA account from my abortion of a job in Florida. Love an HSA account.