Anybody have expierience dealing with clinical depression?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
WestEndHokie39

Anybody have expierience dealing with clinical depression?

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

My son is going to get inpatient treatment starting today at the hosptial and I am heartbroken, and wondering if my wife and I are overreacting.

He is being admitted of his own free will...
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Anybody have expierience dealing with clinical depressio

Post by awesome guy »

I don't and offer prayers for you and your family in dealing with this.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
CWHOKIECPA
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: In your Moms mouth

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

WestEndHokie39 wrote:My son is going to get inpatient treatment starting today at the hosptial and I am heartbroken, and wondering if my wife and I are overreacting.

Does he have anxiety or depression or both? Is there a history in the family of this? Has he fallen on hard times for a reason that you may know?
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
houtexhokie

Post by houtexhokie »

IF I may ask, what age is he?
WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

houtexhokie wrote:IF I may ask, what age is he?
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Not me but my wife...29 years ago.

She wouldn't voluntarily go so I had to commit her. She was kept for 6 weeks.

It took some time but she did great...and is still doing very well.

Living in Marion, VA the stigma of depression and mental illness at that time was horrible and even worse for her was the way she was treated by her Mom and her aunts (this is in no way of being a comment directed at you or your wife westend). It took quite a bit of time for that scar to heal.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Yes.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
ElbertoHokie

Post by ElbertoHokie »

WestEndHokie39 wrote:My son is going to get inpatient treatment starting today at the hosptial and I am heartbroken, and wondering if my wife and I are overreacting.

Yes. Brother got treatment. Outpatient, mostly therapy.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Lots of experience with a loved one. It is tough on both of you. I have never felt depression so I have struggled to find empathy. All I can suggest is to be patient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:

Does he have anxiety or depression or both? Is there a history in the family of this? Has he fallen on hard times for a reason that you may know?
Not much anxiety- mostly depression. He is frustrated being between jobs and flailing about right now trying to find his way.

I have a sister who is schizophrenic.

I’m glad he came to us when he began having thoughts about harming himself. So many young people hold it all inside.
WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

Major Kong wrote:Not me but my wife...29 years ago.

She wouldn't voluntarily go so I had to commit her. She was kept for 6 weeks.

It took some time but she did great...and is still doing very well.

Living in Marion, VA the stigma of depression and mental illness at that time was horrible and even worse for her was the way she was treated by her Mom and her aunts (this is in no way of being a comment directed at you or your wife westend). It took quite a bit of time for that scar to heal.
You and I are contemporaries and I also grew up in a rural area with the same culture. Fortunately my mom was a nurse and didn’t think that way. As a matter of fact, she would have been a heck of a psychologist/psychiatrist.
WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:Lots of experience with a loved one. It is tough on both of you. I have never felt depression so I have struggled to find empathy. All I can suggest is to be patient.

Thanks. He was in good spirits tonight. He’s in a private room in the hospital where my wife works. He’s also in the unit with patients afflicted with dementia- not the regular psych ward.

My wife and I know this will be a lifelong medical issue for him. Fortunately his older brother is very protective of him.
WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

ElbertoHokie wrote:

Yes. Brother got treatment. Outpatient, mostly therapy.
I think that is the most likely course of treatment. I hope so, anyway.
VTDante
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Libertarian

Post by VTDante »

Yes, feel free to DM me. Would be happy to answer any questions you might have.
CWHOKIECPA
Party: In your Moms mouth

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

WestEndHokie39 wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:

Not much anxiety- mostly depression. He is frustrated being between jobs and flailing about right now trying to find his way.

I have a sister who is schizophrenic.

I’m glad he came to us when he began having thoughts about harming himself. So many young people hold it all inside.
Sounds like he kinda of leans to the depressed side and when things aren’t working out, he takes it hard. I’m similar, but more anxious. I went for years rolling around in bed not being able to sleep. My mind wouldn’t shut off. It almost seems that younger people can have more pressures than older people. I think it will be important to let him know that everyone goes through tough times. It’s totally normal. Stay in contact with him frequently. Do you live close to him?

Good luck with everything.
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Your kid is sick with a life-threatening condition. You are not overreacting. I think you will look back in today as a turn for the good.

My thoughts are with you 39.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU

Post by Major Kong »

WestEndHokie39 wrote:You and I are contemporaries and I also grew up in a rural area with the same culture. Fortunately my mom was a nurse and didn’t think that way. As a matter of fact, she would have been a heck of a psychologist/psychiatrist.
The thing about Marion is the Southwest Virginia Mental Health Hospital and Psychiatric Prison is on the hill just south of downtown.

The old joke in the area is sending someone just a little bit out of line "up on the hill". My wife is a RN and was working at the State Hospital when she started experiencing her dis*ease.

Long story short she got the help she needed and my Mom & I were there every step of the way (her Dad too but to a lesser amount). Her Mom and aunts though were not there for her. The reason :?: My wife had the audacity of revealing the "family secret" only known to a select few...even my wife's father didn't know. How dare her do that to them :!: The horror, the embarrassment, the nerve :!: Then other cousins, and her brother, started having problems. The cat was out of the bag and nobody was willing to keep the secret, secret anymore.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

Your kid is sick with a life-threatening condition. You are not overreacting. I think you will look back in today as a turn for the good.

My thoughts are with you 39.

Thanks, IP...I really appreciate it. I wasn't clear in my original post- he had an appointment scheduled with a therapist this Thursday (tomorrow), so my concern revolved around having him admitted vs outpatient.

I was having a hard time with him being confined to the hospital unit, but after a day of reflection, you are correct. It was a life threatening condition and the right thing was to get him treatment sooner, even if it was just a couple of days.

My wife said they would probably hold him for a week, but now the doctors are saying they don't think he has an overarching condiition like a bipolar disorder or schizophrenia.