Anybody concerned Tillerson is on the way out.

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
PolyTech

Re: Anybody concerned Tillerson is on the way out.

Post by PolyTech »

HokieFanDC wrote: How can you be sure?
#JusticeForNolan
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:I doubt his time at work changed much at all, if any. Secy of St isn't working more hours than an Exxon CEO
Disagree. Daily time commitment as SoS will be much more than CEO.
Yeah. I'm sorry, 13334893538. That's just stupid.
Any chance you're a beltway guy?
I'm laughing ...

:lol: :lol:
No, I'm the retired chairman of the board of a mid sized company that spent 20 years working with the department of state and intelligence community on their domestic and overseas facilities. What's your base of knowledge?

The fact that you think being CEO of Exxon required more time than being SoS leads me to think you have no idea what either job is about.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

133743Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:I doubt his time at work changed much at all, if any. Secy of St isn't working more hours than an Exxon CEO
I'm laughing ...

No, I'm the retired chairman of the board of a mid sized company that spent 20 years working with the department of state and intelligence community on their domestic and overseas facilities. What's your base of knowledge?

The fact that you think being CEO of Exxon required more time than being SoS leads me to think you have no idea what either job is about.
I surely wouldn't confuse a mid sized company with Exxon.
A CEO position at a company like Exxon is essentially an apex job in the entire universe of jobs, and gained by MERIT, not political legerdemain.

Absolutely, the SoS does not put more time in than Exxon CEOship. I'd say both are incredibly time-consuming beyond what I would be accustomed to or want.

The private sector job is more accountable, for one thing, and subject to constant jeopardy and scrutiny. A CEO could lose his job any day, for any decision. Not so much in the bureaucratic universe.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
I'm laughing ...

A CEO position at a company like Exxon is essentially an apex job in the entire universe of jobs, and gained by MERIT, not political legerdemain.

Absolutely, the SoS does not put more time in than Exxon CEOship. I'd say both are incredibly time-consuming beyond what I would be accustomed to or want.

The private sector job is more accountable, for one thing, and subject to constant jeopardy and scrutiny. A CEO could lose his job any day, for any decision. Not so much in the bureaucratic universe.
You have no sense of the jobs or their responsibilities. To say that the time commitment and responsibilities of being Exxon CEO is greater than that of SoS is ludicrous. You think being the Exxon CEO is more accountable? Subjected to constant jeopardy and scrutiny at a higher level than the SoS? Please
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

133743Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
I'm laughing ...

You have no sense of the jobs or their responsibilities. To say that the time commitment and responsibilities of being Exxon CEO is greater than that of SoS is ludicrous. You think being the Exxon CEO is more accountable? Subjected to constant jeopardy and scrutiny at a higher level than the SoS? Please
Saying over &I over that I'm wrong...doesn't make you right.
Yes. One job is based on merit. The other, not so much so.
My simple assumption is that high-level merit based jobs take more time than high-level appointments by favor. Merit based jobs are subject to more accountability, by their very nature, than appointment-based government ones.

Are you really suggesting that Hillary! put more time & effort in to her role, specifically, the constitutional requirements of the post (and not all of that extra-curricular fundraising, malfeasance, Foundation, and highjinks) than did Tillerson at Exxon during those same years?? THAT'S what is laughable.

Yes. He was more accountable for his efforts and results than she was. Unquestionably.
Salute the Marines
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
133743Hokie wrote: Disagree. Daily time commitment as SoS will be much more than CEO.
I'm laughing ...

My simple assumption is that high-level merit based jobs take more time than high-level appointments by favor. Merit based jobs are subject to more accountability, by their very nature, than appointment-based government ones.

Are you really suggesting that Hillary! put more time & effort in to her role, specifically, the constitutional requirements of the post (and not all of that extra-curricular fundraising, malfeasance, Foundation, and highjinks) than did Tillerson at Exxon during those same years?? THAT'S what is laughable.

Yes. He was more accountable for his efforts and results than she was. Unquestionably.
This is a silly thing to debate because none of us really know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
133743Hokie wrote: Disagree. Daily time commitment as SoS will be much more than CEO.
I'm laughing ...

Your "simple assumption" is just that, simple, and it's wrong. To intimate that the SoS job is just an appointment to pay back a favor does a gross disservice to the role and responsibility and to those that have served in that capacity. If this is how you see things no wonder you think being CEO of Exxon is a harder and more time consuming job.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

I would indeed suggest that the last 2 secy's of st had not earned their ways into the most important foreign relations job in the world, by way of merit nor accomplishment in prior foreign relations feats or advancements... . Not just no, but hell no. I doubt I'm alone in that view. It isn't my view that is doing any disservice...
Salute the Marines
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

RiverguyVT wrote:I would indeed suggest that the last 2 secy's of st had not earned their ways into the most important foreign relations job in the world, by way of merit nor accomplishment in prior foreign relations feats or advancements... . Not just no, but hell no. I doubt I'm alone in that view. It isn't my view that is doing any disservice...
I'm not sure if Tillerson earned it anymore than they did. He has done a pretty pitiful job in his short tenure. The grand idea that the dept. should shrink is fine, but not putting an organizational plan in place to make that happen, is pitiful.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:I would indeed suggest that the last 2 secy's of st had not earned their ways into the most important foreign relations job in the world, by way of merit nor accomplishment in prior foreign relations feats or advancements... . Not just no, but hell no. I doubt I'm alone in that view. It isn't my view that is doing any disservice...
I'm not sure if Tillerson earned it anymore than they did. He has done a pretty pitiful job in his short tenure. The grand idea that the dept. should shrink is fine, but not putting an organizational plan in place to make that happen, is pitiful.
What is the consequence of not including an extra layer of bureaucracy here?
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
Not filling the top level diplomat positions means they are lacking leadership in key areas.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
Not filling the top level diplomat positions means they are lacking leadership in key areas.
Still don't see a problem.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
Yeh, we all know you don't see a problem. That doesn't mean it isn't.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
That's not an argument.

HokieFanDC : "please, won't somebody think of the TPS reports?!"

I do like your idea for reducing our State Department to be closer to that of a nation whose budget for their equivalent is miniscule compared to ours.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote: I'm not sure if Tillerson earned it anymore than they did. He has done a pretty pitiful job in his short tenure. The grand idea that the dept. should shrink is fine, but not putting an organizational plan in place to make that happen, is pitiful.
That's not an argument.

I do like your idea for reducing our State Department to be closer to that of a nation whose budget for their equivalent is miniscule compared to ours.
LOL, your argument is that you don't see it as a problem, there is no rebuttal to your general opinion.

Yeh, it's a good idea. Done properly, it could be awesome. Done the way it's being done, ridiculous.

How would you feel if the Navy had multiple open commander and caption positions, for the pure sake of cutting budget? Good idea or bad idea?
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote: Yeah. I'm sorry, 13334893538. That's just stupid.
I'm laughing ...

[emoji38] [emoji38]

Your "simple assumption" is just that, simple, and it's wrong. To intimate that the SoS job is just an appointment to pay back a favor does a gross disservice to the role and responsibility and to those that have served in that capacity. If this is how you see things no wonder you think being CEO of Exxon is a harder and more time consuming job.
You're loco on this one.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
That's not an argument.

LOL, your argument is that you don't see it as a problem, there is no rebuttal to your general opinion.

Yeh, it's a good idea. Done properly, it could be awesome. Done the way it's being done, ridiculous.

How would you feel if the Navy had multiple open commander and caption positions, for the pure sake of cutting budget? Good idea or bad idea?
1. Your argument is that there is a problem even though you can provide no evidence of one. Who's the person with an irrational argument again? I merely asked you to provide something remotely observable as a fallout from lack of policy so we could have a discussion. I was prepared to concede, but you can't name a single thing - not helping your argument.

2. Lol, welcome to the party. That's been going on for a long, long time. There are huge manning shortfalls ("gapped billets") across the DoD right now.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

So Tillerson isn't on the way out. Good to know.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
That's not an argument.

1. Your argument is that there is a problem even though you can provide no evidence of one. Who's the person with an irrational argument again? I merely asked you to provide something remotely observable as a fallout from lack of policy so we could have a discussion. I was prepared to concede, but you can't name a single thing - not helping your argument.

2. Lol, welcome to the party. That's been going on for a long, long time. There are huge manning shortfalls ("gapped billets") across the DoD right now.
Without leadership in key areas, who is supposed to push our foreign policy? Assuming we have an actual foreign policy, which may be debatable, it is the job of the diplomats to push those policies and work with other countries to push our priorities and agenda. Without those people in place, that doesn't happen.
The State department works to promote America's interests all over the world. Not filling those posts make that job a lot more difficult, in some cases impossible.

On your second point, how many of those gapped billets are commander/captain positions. Those are the positions that are not being filled, not rank and file positions.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
That's not an argument.

Without leadership in key areas, who is supposed to push our foreign policy? Assuming we have an actual foreign policy, which may be debatable, it is the job of the diplomats to push those policies and work with other countries to push our priorities and agenda. Without those people in place, that doesn't happen.
The State department works to promote America's interests all over the world. Not filling those posts make that job a lot more difficult, in some cases impossible.

On your second point, how many of those gapped billets are commander/captain positions. Those are the positions that are not being filled, not rank and file positions.
1. "Without leadership in key areas, who is supposed to push our foreign policy?"

WTF? C'mon, this is self-licking ice cream cone platitudes.

2. All the time.

You're trying to imply that there's some State Dept Office of Transgender Eskimo Underwear Gnome Research which is going to steer into the rocks without some political appointee hack at the helm. That's ludicrous.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

70,000 employees
70 freakin thousand
Salute the Marines
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

1. "Without leadership in key areas, who is supposed to push our foreign policy?"

2. All the time.

You're trying to imply that there's some State Dept Office of Transgender Eskimo Underwear Gnome Research which is going to steer into the rocks without some political appointee hack at the helm. That's ludicrous.

You didn't answer either of my questions, and you made up a really terrific strawman. Good work.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

RiverguyVT wrote:70,000 employees
70 freakin thousand
Yeh, we know.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

2. All the time.

You didn't answer either of my questions, and you made up a really terrific strawman. Good work.
Your first question was rhetorical bullshirt. My entire premise is that we're not missing leadership in key areas, or that your/their definition of key areas (note that you still haven't defined or given me an example) is silly.

I did give you an answer - "all the time."