North Korea, what should be done?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Techmomof2
Alma Mater: Penn State

North Korea, what should be done?

Post by Techmomof2 »

They are launching more and more powerful missiles. Is there a way we can tell immediately if there is a nuke on board since there is less than a 1/2 hour window?

https://conservativedailypost.com/newes ... s-details/

There is a problem that, no matter how much the White House attempts to silence, will not be squelched. North Korea has been manufacturing nuclear weapons at a rate that has seen their progress and powerful payloads grow by leaps and bounds. This is happening as they promise to use them on us, something that even the Soviet Union did not do (they threatened, never outright promised).

The New York Times reminds us just how advanced the Hermit Kingdom has become as they write that the new rocket which the self-titled “Dear Leader” Kim Jong-un sent into the skies as is a “new type” of weapon that is far more deadly than any that they have ever tested before.

The state-controlled North Korean news agency has said that “the Hwasong-15. North Korea said it carried a “super-large heavy warhead which is capable of striking the whole mainland of the U.S.” This weapon is said to surpass the power of the Hwasong-14 tested only last summer.
cwtcr hokie

Re: North Korea, what should be done?

Post by cwtcr hokie »

the problem is any strike we do means parts of south korea get levelled (an all that mfg that is located there)
Techmomof2

Post by Techmomof2 »

cwtcr hokie wrote:the problem is any strike we do means parts of south korea get levelled (an all that mfg that is located there)
Yes, but do we sit and wait for a nuke to be onboard? Would we know until it hit the USA? Hawaii has a 20 min heads up if we knew.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Techmomof2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:the problem is any strike we do means parts of south korea get levelled (an all that mfg that is located there)
Yes, but do we sit and wait for a nuke to be onboard? Would we know until it hit the USA? Hawaii has a 20 min heads up if we knew.
there is no good solution, at this point I assume the folks in the gov. are just hoping that fatboy is just bluffing. Fatboy seems to realize that his country is vaporized if he actually fires at anything
Techmomof2

Post by Techmomof2 »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
Techmomof2 wrote:
there is no good solution, at this point I assume the folks in the gov. are just hoping that fatboy is just bluffing. Fatboy seems to realize that his country is vaporized if he actually fires at anything
I don't think he is bluffing. He is empowered because nobody is stopping him. And a year ago he didn't have the missile technology to hit anywhere in the US. Who gave him that?
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Techmomof2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
Techmomof2 wrote:
I don't think he is bluffing. He is empowered because nobody is stopping him. And a year ago he didn't have the missile technology to hit anywhere in the US. Who gave him that?
Thank our governor & Bill C who handed it over to Red China in exchange for a presidential library hookah lounge and massage room
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Techmomof2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
Techmomof2 wrote:
I think he is bluffing as he knows if he actually aims at something, we can knock down what he fires and he would be vaporized as a country
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

I'm not too concerned. NK is playing chicken, AGAIN. It's the same game they've been playing for the past 20+yrs.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
Techmomof2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
Techmomof2 wrote:
I think he is bluffing as he knows if he actually aims at something, we can knock down what he fires and he would be vaporized as a country
There is significant doubt as to the full capability of the US missile defense system to "knock down" missles from NK.
Techmomof2

Post by Techmomof2 »

HokieJoe wrote:I'm not too concerned. NK is playing chicken, AGAIN. It's the same game they've been playing for the past 20+yrs.
20 years ago, they didn't have these missiles or nukes.
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

Techmomof2 wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:I'm not too concerned. NK is playing chicken, AGAIN. It's the same game they've been playing for the past 20+yrs.

They literally stand to gain nothing by launching a nuke at another country. Unless they think they're own annihalation is something to crow about.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
Techmomof2 wrote:

They literally stand to gain nothing by launching a nuke at another country. Unless they think they're own annihalation is something to crow about.
Yeah I think more and more that it's an extortion scheme - until he's overthrown in a coup. I think that's a real possibility if he can't use nukes to extort the rest of the world.
ElbertoHokie
Party: Independent

Post by ElbertoHokie »

Techmomof2 wrote:They are launching more and more powerful missiles. Is there a way we can tell immediately if there is a nuke on board since there is less than a 1/2 hour window?

https://conservativedailypost.com/newes ... s-details/

There is a problem that, no matter how much the White House attempts to silence, will not be squelched. North Korea has been manufacturing nuclear weapons at a rate that has seen their progress and powerful payloads grow by leaps and bounds. This is happening as they promise to use them on us, something that even the Soviet Union did not do (they threatened, never outright promised).

The New York Times reminds us just how advanced the Hermit Kingdom has become as they write that the new rocket which the self-titled “Dear Leader” Kim Jong-un sent into the skies as is a “new type” of weapon that is far more deadly than any that they have ever tested before.

The state-controlled North Korean news agency has said that “the Hwasong-15. North Korea said it carried a “super-large heavy warhead which is capable of striking the whole mainland of the U.S.” This weapon is said to surpass the power of the Hwasong-14 tested only last summer.
There are no "good" options beyond diplomacy. Any military action by the west will result in millions of dead around Seoul. We will destroy some of his weapons, even most, but we won't get them all. The only decent military option was when they didn't have nukes BUT 20 or 30 years ago, China was not as open to the west culturally and economically. Likely, China fully backs up NK at that time. I don't think they're so willing to now, but NK has nukes now.
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
Techmomof2 wrote:

Yeah I think more and more that it's an extortion scheme - until he's overthrown in a coup. I think that's a real possibility if he can't use nukes to extort the rest of the world.

Extortion and acting as China's proxy is all its ever been IMO.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote: Any military action by the west will result in millions of dead around Seoul.
I don't think that's necessarily true.

That said, I don't think we use military action unless they're about to pull the trigger, which wouldn't be a rational decision for Kim Jung Un unless he's facing a coup/uprising.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Sadly our options are limited thanks to Obama gutting our missile defense system.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
ElbertoHokie

Post by ElbertoHokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote: Any military action by the west will result in millions of dead around Seoul.

That said, I don't think we use military action unless they're about to pull the trigger, which wouldn't be a rational decision for Kim Jung Un unless he's facing a coup/uprising.
I'm betting on that fact that we can't simultaneously destroy ALL of his nuclear capabilities as well as the massive amounts of conventional guns/missles that NK already has pointed at Seoul. Even if a fraction of either of these groups of weapons survives and is able to attack Seoul, it's a big deal. Obviously the nuclear weapons are the bigger deal.
Techmomof2

Post by Techmomof2 »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

I'm betting on that fact that we can't simultaneously destroy ALL of his nuclear capabilities as well as the massive amounts of conventional guns/missles that NK already has pointed at Seoul. Even if a fraction of either of these groups of weapons survives and is able to attack Seoul, it's a big deal. Obviously the nuclear weapons are the bigger deal.
But if they keep launching missiles, how do we know if there is a nuke onboard?
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

I wouldn't put money on that. Their artillery is vastly overstated. Some of their pieces are within range of part of Seoul. All are mapped out. They only have so many nukes. We also have non conventional, non nuclear options.

Not saying it's not risky, or there are options where a considerable number of people aren't at risk of dying, just that it's not inevitable that millions would die.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:Sadly our options are limited thanks to Obama gutting our missile defense system.
How did he gut the missile defense system? He scrapped the Poland and Czech systems, but he increased the capabilities in Asia Pacific. Were his budget cuts a good idea? I don't think so. But, the Aegis systems they put in place are better than the crap that GW was going to implement.
Was it perfect? I don't think so, but saying that he gutted it is not correct.
ElbertoHokie

Post by ElbertoHokie »

Techmomof2 wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

But if they keep launching missiles, how do we know if there is a nuke onboard?
They have to make an educated guess. By sniffing the air after nuclear tests, they can tell what kind of bomb was set off as the different types give off unique radiation patterns and isotopes. If they can get to the alarm clock h-bomb design, they can most likely miniaturize it. I'd guess through a mixture of espionage and engineering inference, they can determine whether the missiles are capable of carrying a warhead and whether that warhead could be made small enough to fit into a missile. I can't know for sure and I doubt the West knows for absolutely sure because espionage into NK is extremely poor compared to other "enemies."
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

I wouldn't put money on that. Their artillery is vastly overstated. Some of their pieces are within range of part of Seoul. All are mapped out. They only have so many nukes. We also have non conventional, non nuclear options.

Not saying it's not risky, or there are options where a considerable number of people aren't at risk of dying, just that it's not inevitable that millions would die.
NK conventional missiles are abundant and will annihilate Seoul.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

NK conventional missiles are abundant and will annihilate Seoul.
Which missiles are you talking about?
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:Sadly our options are limited thanks to Obama gutting our missile defense system.
How did he gut the missile defense system? He scrapped the Poland and Czech systems, but he increased the capabilities in Asia Pacific. Were his budget cuts a good idea? I don't think so. But, the Aegis systems they put in place are better than the crap that GW was going to implement.
Was it perfect? I don't think so, but saying that he gutted it is not correct.
In 2009, the Administration also decided to decrease the number of GMD interceptors in the United States from 44 to 30, arguing that the long-range ballistic missile threat to the U.S. homeland was progressing more slowly than anticipated by the Bush Administration. The Obama Administration was wrong and later reversed the decision. To make matters worse, the Administration also let the GMD system go untested for more than two years.[24] Continued testing is critical for validating the performance of the system and for maintaining critical skills within the workforce. Additionally, it is sometimes impossible to replicate conditions in space on the ground; therefore, some of the test failures can only be discovered during actual flight and intercept tests. A robust testing program is critical for validating the system and its algorithms, and for ensuring that it will be capable of protecting the United States from a long-range ballistic missile attack.

The Obama Administration has admitted that its GMD policy was wrong. In March 2013, then–Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel announced that the United States will deploy an additional 14 GMD interceptors to Alaska, which was President’s Bush’s original number.[25] The policy change was prompted by a recognition that the long-range ballistic missile threat to the United States has not diminished, as the Obama Administration had argued, and is, in fact, growing. The Administration lost years of additional protection that would exist had the GMD system been deployed in the numbers originally planned.

Reducing the number of interceptors and causing unnecessary delays in the long run, however, are only some of the ways in which the Administration undermined the GMD system. The Administration also decided to cancel the Multiple Kill Vehicle (MKV) program in 2009.[26] The MKV program was designed to give each U.S. interceptor multiple kinetic kill vehicles to increase the chance of a shoot down and increase the efficiency of interceptors. The Administration called the program “not necessary” and argued that the United States does not need the program as a hedge should the long-range ballistic missile threat advance faster than expected.[27] Yet again, the Administration was wrong. In August 2015, it awarded a contract for the Multiple-Object Kill Vehicle (MOKV), essentially the same concept, losing the country millions of dollars invested in the MKV program, and valuable time during which the MKV program could have been further developed. The MKV program was scheduled to be deployed in 2017. In 2009, the Administration argued that it could cancel the MKV program because it would focus on “assessing the feasibility of destroying threat missiles early in flight.”[28] Yet, it cancelled or reduced almost every single program capable of doing so in the subsequent years.
http://www.heritage.org/defense/report/ ... ded-legacy

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

If he is aggressive militarily to the United States or South Korea, beyond "drills", then we should attack his country and overthrow the government... would take about 15 minutes to control Pyongyang - Their people are starving and top military leaders will turn on Kim in short order.