Finally saw S(tar) J W(ars) the Last Jedi...

Alternatively called "The Lounge"
UpstateSCHokie

Finally saw S(tar) J W(ars) the Last Jedi...

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

When I left the theater, I wasn't sure how I felt about it. There were moments of the movie that I saw while watching that I thought "Okay, that's kind of dumb" and "if that's possible, then why haven't they ever done this before?" and "why all the SJW nonsense?"

And then the more I thought about the movie after I saw it, the more I didn't like it. It just fell flat. It wan't as cheesy as the Prequels, but it tried to do too much, had a bunch of plot holes, and just overall left you feeling unsatisfied. Anyways, I won't write any spoilers, but Ben Shapiro does a great job in his SPOILER review below:

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
UpstateSCHokie

Re: Finally saw S(tar) J W(ars) the Last Jedi...

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Another good take. This movie is Rian Johnson's (Obama style) chin scratch middle finger to masculinity. And yeah, when you see all the SJW crap in this, you know that Johnson has to be a big left winger who hates manly men.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Best summary I've seen yet!!!

Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

I thought it was ok. I don’t know how good a SW movie can be without Vader as he is the best character by a mile. Plus, no Han Solo who is the second best character imho . So, you lose two alpha males due to their deaths and I guess it isn’t going to be the same. Carrie Fisher does not look good. It is not surprising she died soon after the filming.

I thought the scene where they unloaded the ammo on Luke was good, and the fight where Kylo and the girl kill Snoke was good. I thought Laura Dern looks pretty good for an old lady(my age), but her outfit was funny. She looked like she was goin to the opera while commanding a ship.

The new characters simply do not have the depth of the old ones. Fin, Rey, Rose, meh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:I thought it was ok. I don’t know how good a SW movie can be without Vader as he is the best character by a mile. Plus, no Han Solo who is the second best character imho . So, you lose two alpha males due to their deaths and I guess it isn’t going to be the same. Carrie Fisher does not look good. It is not surprising she died soon after the filming.

I thought the scene where they unloaded the ammo on Luke was good, and the fight where Kylo and the girl kill Snoke was good. I thought Laura Dern looks pretty good for an old lady(my age), but her outfit was funny. She looked like she was goin to the opera while commanding a ship.

The new characters simply do not have the depth of the old ones. Fin, Rey, Rose, meh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The new characters are all overly excited and for no good reason. Especially when Po meets someone, they're best friends at first sight.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

One of the worst movies i've ever seen.

Dreadful.

The best actor in the show was chewbacka.
Every time they showed a close up of mark hamel, it looked like he was about to cry.
Whoever played lea was dreadful. More into making speeches.

Laura dern as the vice admiral in charge of the military...WEARING A DRESS.

And the black guy and the guy with the perpetual two day beard were just awful. Trying for a harmonious inter racial buddy movie thing.
NO.

And once in a while they had to act as if they were doing something profound. Like there was a message there.

No, there wasn't.

There were NO PRETTY GIRLS in the movie. None. I looked at some of the extras. No.

I think the lead is supposed to be, but she is no prize. The fat little asian girl who may have been the closest thing to a decent actor, was um, not attractive.

I fell asleep in the movie. Literally, asleep. That and the previews of coming attractions were the best part of the evening.

And lest you think everyone loved it but me, my wife thought it was terrible as did the 16 year old HS student we took with us.

But at least it lasted about six hours, or seemed to.

UpstateSCHokie wrote:When I left the theater, I wasn't sure how I felt about it. There were moments of the movie that I saw while watching that I thought "Okay, that's kind of dumb" and "if that's possible, then why haven't they ever done this before?" and "why all the SJW nonsense?"

And then the more I thought about the movie after I saw it, the more I didn't like it. It just fell flat. It wan't as cheesy as the Prequels, but it tried to do too much, had a bunch of plot holes, and just overall left you feeling unsatisfied. Anyways, I won't write any spoilers, but Ben Shapiro does a great job in his SPOILER review below:

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

oaktonhokie wrote:One of the worst movies i've ever seen.

Dreadful.

The best actor in the show was chewbacka.
Every time they showed a close up of mark hamel, it looked like he was about to cry.
Whoever played lea was dreadful. More into making speeches.

Laura dern as the vice admiral in charge of the military...WEARING A DRESS.

And the black guy and the guy with the perpetual two day beard were just awful. Trying for a harmonious inter racial buddy movie thing.
NO.

And once in a while they had to act as if they were doing something profound. Like there was a message there.

No, there wasn't.

There were NO PRETTY GIRLS in the movie. None. I looked at some of the extras. No.

I think the lead is supposed to be, but she is no prize. The fat little asian girl who may have been the closest thing to a decent actor, was um, not attractive.

I fell asleep in the movie. Literally, asleep. That and the previews of coming attractions were the best part of the evening.

And lest you think everyone loved it but me, my wife thought it was terrible as did the 16 year old HS student we took with us.

But at least it lasted about six hours, or seemed to.

UpstateSCHokie wrote:When I left the theater, I wasn't sure how I felt about it. There were moments of the movie that I saw while watching that I thought "Okay, that's kind of dumb" and "if that's possible, then why haven't they ever done this before?" and "why all the SJW nonsense?"

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!
I thought it was Spaceballs 2, so ridiculous that it was comical. Chewbacca eating the penguin things was great though. Rogue One made the rest of Star Wars much better. This movie diminished it all and made The Force Awakens seem like a waste of time as they demolished the story line created previously. I don't care about any of the characters, they're overly excited about nothing and Rey is how milinials think the world works, just show up and slay. No philosophy or training as Luke and the Jedi went through.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

(Spoilers)

Too many really, really, really dumb decisions.

So they're close enough to the empire first order starships that they are in weapons range, but the first order can't see the transports launching? What? Does that make any sense?

And how can they be almost out of power, but then still have enough power for her to do the suicide light jump into the battleship? That's Star Trek: TNG levels of playing fast and loose with power. (I lost count of how many Star Trek episodes the power was so low that the lights were flickering, but then as soon as they fix whatever is draining it, they can instantly go to warp speed.)

And if warp speed is that precise, why couldn't one of the bad guys' ships just make a warp speed jump to right in front of the rebel ship? Or call for reinforcements and go all Tholian Web on them - you're an empire and you have lots of ships, right?

And if you're really planning on everyone leaving on shuttles the entire time, you should probably let the crew know so that they can pack up important equipment. The only reason that you lost most of your crew is because you didn't let everyone know what you were planning and they assumed they were on a suicide mission. That's really bad management - you're not going to get the best performance out of your people if you let them think it's a suicide mission. I mean, there were people trying to escape on the escape pods and you had that one fanboy lady guarding them. Tell people, "hey - you're not going to die, we're all going to escape, and I need you working hard to prepare the shuttles" and you probably have much higher morale. And you certainly don't have a team going off and doing their own thing and getting captured, costing you most of your shuttles.

And when they're on the planet, the only way they know there is another way out is because Luke must have gotten in from somewhere. But he didn't - he was a holographic projection or an astral projection or something. So they are just lucky that there happened to be another way out?
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

I just saw it. It was terrible. Did Lucas sneak back in the directors chair?
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
Vienna_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: libertarian

Post by Vienna_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:(Spoilers)

Too many really, really, really dumb decisions.

So they're close enough to the empire first order starships that they are in weapons range, but the first order can't see the transports launching? What? Does that make any sense?

And how can they be almost out of power, but then still have enough power for her to do the suicide light jump into the battleship? That's Star Trek: TNG levels of playing fast and loose with power. (I lost count of how many Star Trek episodes the power was so low that the lights were flickering, but then as soon as they fix whatever is draining it, they can instantly go to warp speed.)

And if warp speed is that precise, why couldn't one of the bad guys' ships just make a warp speed jump to right in front of the rebel ship? Or call for reinforcements and go all Tholian Web on them - you're an empire and you have lots of ships, right?

And if you're really planning on everyone leaving on shuttles the entire time, you should probably let the crew know so that they can pack up important equipment. The only reason that you lost most of your crew is because you didn't let everyone know what you were planning and they assumed they were on a suicide mission. That's really bad management - you're not going to get the best performance out of your people if you let them think it's a suicide mission. I mean, there were people trying to escape on the escape pods and you had that one fanboy lady guarding them. Tell people, "hey - you're not going to die, we're all going to escape, and I need you working hard to prepare the shuttles" and you probably have much higher morale. And you certainly don't have a team going off and doing their own thing and getting captured, costing you most of your shuttles.

And when they're on the planet, the only way they know there is another way out is because Luke must have gotten in from somewhere. But he didn't - he was a holographic projection or an astral projection or something. So they are just lucky that there happened to be another way out?
Just terrible, worse than any of the prequels. Worst thing to me was the opening scene (you know the remake of ESB escaping from the base when they had been found).

I'm sorry, with all the technology like being able to blow up planets they still have bombers? And the bombs are little black balls (did they have fuses at the top :lol: ) in racks and had to be flown over top of their target and dropped by big slow lumbering ships. Oh and the damn bombs all blow up in the ship when a little explosion happens....are you f'n kidding me. I kept waiting for a coyote to show up with a box from Acme. Everything after that was complete and total BS.
Looks like the only thing 1984 got wrong was the date.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Looks like the Solo movie is headed for disaster as well. I know I have no plans to see it. Before The Last Jedi, I could not fathom not making it a priority to go see a Star Wars movie. Now I have zero interest. Unless Abrahams makes the entire Last Jedi movie a bad Rey nightmare that never actually happened, I don't know how they can repair the franchise.