Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Re: Trump getting a VERY warm welcome at game

Post by HokieJoe »

Meh, Tua seems like a good kid and performed great, but the element of surprise was a large part of his success. I think. He won't have that luxury if he starts next year.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

I forget if it was cwtcr or CFB, but I always used to get a kick when one of them kept asserting that Saban wasn’t that great of a coach because a lot of coaches could do what he’s doing at Alabama with their talent and resources. You know, because they only won one title in the 25 years between Bear Bryant and Saban with however many coaches they had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

nolanvt wrote:I forget if it was cwtcr or CFB, but I always used to get a kick when one of them kept asserting that Saban wasn’t that great of a coach because a lot of coaches could do what he’s doing at Alabama with their talent and resources. You know, because they only won one title in the 25 years between Bear Bryant and Saban with however many coaches they had.

I never said saban was not a great coach but yes for college, in the pros he was a huge failure. So is it that he gets to pick and choose which 5 * guys to take or is he the best coach ever? Did the coaches between him and the bear get the same setup? Reality is that bama is going to win the NC every year for now, lets hope that changes in our lifetimes

The problem for bama is obvious though, Saban is not a spring chicken and cloning is working well yet
Last edited by cwtcr hokie on Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:I forget if it was cwtcr or CFB, but I always used to get a kick when one of them kept asserting that Saban wasn’t that great of a coach because a lot of coaches could do what he’s doing at Alabama with their talent and resources. You know, because they only won one title in the 25 years between Bear Bryant and Saban with however many coaches they had.

I never said saban was not a great coach but yes for college, in the pros he was a huge failure
Hard to judge him as a failure in the NFL when his team doctor vetoed the Drew Brees signing and stuck him with Culpepper.

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

I never said saban was not a great coach but yes for college, in the pros he was a huge failure
Hard to judge him as a failure in the NFL when his team doctor vetoed the Drew Brees signing and stuck him with Culpepper.

no not at all, it is based on wins and losses, same as in college
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

Is going 2 games under .500 in two NFL seasons after taking over for a 4-12 team a huge failure? He didn't get fired, he just wanted to go back to college where he had some control of getting the players he wanted rather than losing out on Drew Brees because his GM refused.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

BG Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

Is going 2 games under .500 in two NFL seasons after taking over for a 4-12 team a huge failure? He didn't get fired, he just wanted to go back to college where he had some control of getting the players he wanted rather than losing out on Drew Brees because his GM refused.
he strikes me as an asshole.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

cwtcr hokie wrote:

I never said saban was not a great coach but yes for college, in the pros he was a huge failure. So is it that he gets to pick and choose which 5 * guys to take or is he the best coach ever?
He gets to pick and choose which 5* guy because he is a great coach. If it was so easy others would duplicate it. Pete Carroll was pretty good at this as well, but didn't seem to be near as good on X's and O's.
cwtcr hokie wrote:Did the coaches between him and the bear get the same setup?
Yes, they just weren't as good as Saban.
cwtcr hokie wrote:Reality is that bama is going to win the NC every year for now
Reality is they won't.
cwtcr hokie wrote:The problem for bama is obvious though, Saban is not a spring chicken and cloning is working well yet
Exactly, what Saban is doing is remarkable. Since no one else has duplicated it; Alabama probably won't win a national championship as often without him, even with the same setup.
People who know, know.
ElbertoHokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Post by ElbertoHokie »

Saban's genius lies in recognizing the lack of parity in CFB with regards to $$$$. He assembled a huge back office staff which takes a ton of burden off the the coaches and essentially comes up with a pre packaged gameplan for the coaching staff. Coaching staff can concentrate on recruiting and other areas. Alabama has something like 30-40 football analysts employed. I'm pretty sure VT has about 4 or 5 max.

Clemson is also in the 20s to 30s.

Plus Saban never rests on his laurels. He keeps reinventing what he does. Realizes that if he's not innovating, he's falling behind.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

I never said saban was not a great coach but yes for college, in the pros he was a huge failure. So is it that he gets to pick and choose which 5 * guys to take or is he the best coach ever?
He gets to pick and choose which 5* guy because he is a great coach. If it was so easy others would duplicate it. Pete Carroll was pretty good at this as well, but didn't seem to be near as good on X's and O's.
cwtcr hokie wrote:Did the coaches between him and the bear get the same setup?
Yes, they just weren't as good as Saban.
cwtcr hokie wrote:Reality is that bama is going to win the NC every year for now
Reality is they won't.
cwtcr hokie wrote:The problem for bama is obvious though, Saban is not a spring chicken and cloning is working well yet
Exactly, what Saban is doing is remarkable. Since no one else has duplicated it; Alabama probably won't win a national championship as often without him, even with the same setup.
Pete Carroll was buying players, like Saban is doing. They do it via boosters, it's professional sports.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

ElbertoHokie wrote:Saban's genius lies in recognizing the lack of parity in CFB with regards to $$$$. He assembled a huge back office staff which takes a ton of burden off the the coaches and essentially comes up with a pre packaged gameplan for the coaching staff. Coaching staff can concentrate on recruiting and other areas. Alabama has something like 30-40 football analysts employed. I'm pretty sure VT has about 4 or 5 max.

Clemson is also in the 20s to 30s.

Plus Saban never rests on his laurels. He keeps reinventing what he does. Realizes that if he's not innovating, he's falling behind.
They're all crooks
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.