Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

anyone else think this is the most ....

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Anyone else think the stock market is the most unwavering bull market they have ever experienced?

It feels like the last 14 months have been the least volatile bull market of my life. Most of the other ones have been so choppy(up 1.5%, down 1.5%, up 1%, down 2%, up 2%). The days have been roller coasters in the past. The Obama bull market was sooooo choppy.

How long can this go on?
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: anyone else think this is the most ....

Post by awesome guy »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:Anyone else think the stock market is the most unwavering bull market they have ever experienced?

It feels like the last 14 months have been the least volatile bull market of my life. Most of the other ones have been so choppy(up 1.5%, down 1.5%, up 1%, down 2%, up 2%). The days have been roller coasters in the past. The Obama bull market was sooooo choppy.

How long can this go on?
Performance has to match expectations at some point. I'm seeing a correction coming.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:Anyone else think the stock market is the most unwavering bull market they have ever experienced?

How long can this go on?
Performance has to match expectations at some point. I'm seeing a correction coming.
I agree. Have been gradually moving retirement money into stable value funds. Will try to continue doing so over the course of the year. 20% annual gains are nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

I was listening to some economist on FBN a few weeks ago and he had a point that I found interesting: this recovery was maybe our weakest recovery ever and so even though it feels like we should be late cycle and about to have an immediate correction, we are really just mid-cycle because the recovery was so weak. His claim is that the correction is still a few years off.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Watch out for unrealistic P:E's.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

I just don't see a correction coming soon. Everyone is doing well. Everyone is hiring like crazy. Companies are sitting on record cash balances cause they don't have as many good ideas as they have dollars.

And we still haven't seen M&A activity that I would call "nuts". Those normally happen at the end LOL. People over pay and then everything goes to excrement and a lot of execs start staring at their shoes(think AOL/Time Warner).

Maybe I am wrong, but I am bullish. I haven't seen housing go completely crazy yet either.
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:I just don't see a correction coming soon. Everyone is doing well. Everyone is hiring like crazy.
*BLS - job creation "on par" with U.S. employment since 2011.
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:Companies are sitting on record cash balances cause they don't have as many good ideas as they have dollars.

And we still haven't seen M&A activity that I would call "nuts". Those normally happen at the end LOL. People over pay and then everything goes to excrement and a lot of execs start staring at their shoes(think AOL/Time Warner).

Maybe I am wrong, but I am bullish. I haven't seen housing go completely crazy yet either.
Apple should start a private equity business. Focus on the first decade of GE Capital and get to work. Or just go straight equity. Before too long they could own a few percent of every company in the S&P 500. Throw in some Baidu, Alibaba, Tencent, a little extra Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, Google for good measure. Drop in a good percentage of the new CVS to get some extra healthcare.
People who know, know.