Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
ElbertoHokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Millenials are more frugal than the Greatest Generation

Post by ElbertoHokie »

according to consumer advisory firm, Distill.

Mostly due to student debt.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... pert-warns
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Millenials are more frugal than the Greatest Generation

Post by awesome guy »

Frugal isn't a synonym for broke. Frugal implies they have a choice.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:Frugal isn't a synonym for broke. Frugal implies they have a choice.
I agree with you. Those with student debt are frugal, those without buy $12 martinis.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:Frugal isn't a synonym for broke. Frugal implies they have a choice.
I agree with you. Those with student debt are frugal, those without buy $12 martinis.
The ones without student debt and don't buy the martini are frugal.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

I’m fortunate to have left college with no student loan debt. I don’t necessarily buy a lot of things, but for the things I do buy, I’ll pay a premium for higher quality. I’m not ever going to buy a boat or motorcycle because I don’t want to be the person who buys those and then only use them a handful of times. Same with my golf clubs. They’re almost 20 years old, but are still in good condition and functional. I’m not good enough nor play enough to warrant me updating my clubs every few years. The house we just bought, food, clothes, and travel are the type of things I’ll happily spend a little more on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

I make financial products for Millenials so I am in their heads all day. Yes, they are generally very frugal and many call themselves minimalists. The really funny thing you get from them in interviews is how many of them plan on checking out once they get a little money in the bank and get their loans paid off. That is probably just youth talking BUT I hear this a lot. I always want to ask them, “Why did you get a grad degree and $200k in debt if your end goal was to be a bohemian”? [emoji23]

“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:I make financial products for Millenials so I am in their heads all day. Yes, they are generally very frugal and many call themselves minimalists. The really funny thing you get from them in interviews is how many of them plan on checking out once they get a little money in the bank and get their loans paid off. That is probably just youth talking BUT I hear this a lot. I always want to ask them, “Why did you get a grad degree and $200k in debt if your end goal was to be a bohemian”? [emoji23]

They think the world is nothing but BS and BSers as they play a game.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:I make financial products for Millenials so I am in their heads all day. Yes, they are generally very frugal and many call themselves minimalists. The really funny thing you get from them in interviews is how many of them plan on checking out once they get a little money in the bank and get their loans paid off. That is probably just youth talking BUT I hear this a lot. I always want to ask them, “Why did you get a grad degree and $200k in debt if your end goal was to be a bohemian”? [emoji23]

You could ask the same question of most women who go to college and then decide to have kids (and stop working).

Had one female employee with double engineering degrees from VT tell me she was working until she pays off her student loans....

Have another with an engineering degree from the academy and a Masters from MIT. She went part time and is now checking out to spend more time with the kids.

I could go on and on. It used to be that women went to college in order to find higher status men (and that's legitimate argument...not going to find good men waiting tables at Dennys). But today, women are told to whore themselves out in college and settle down in their 30s.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Millennial couple sells everything, buys sailboat, sinks it and everything they own in 29 minutes.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5547149/c ... -days-sea/

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:

Millennial couple sells everything, buys sailboat, sinks it and everything they own in 29 minutes.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5547149/c ... -days-sea/

Damn, "something" was the seafloor. Doubt they had enough sense(or cents) to run a chart plotter and sounder. That's the 4th millennial I know doing(or did in this case) this trip. At least the others have 40+ft boats, even if they're going broke on repairs. They don't comprehend how expensive a boat is to maintain and 30 year old boats need a lot of maintenance.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:

You could ask the same question of most women who go to college and then decide to have kids (and stop working).

Had one female employee with double engineering degrees from VT tell me she was working until she pays off her student loans....

Have another with an engineering degree from the academy and a Masters from MIT. She went part time and is now checking out to spend more time with the kids.

I could go on and on. It used to be that women went to college in order to find higher status men (and that's legitimate argument...not going to find good men waiting tables at Dennys). But today, women are told to whore themselves out in college and settle down in their 30s.
I think you are reading the women wrong. At 18 they want a career and persue a degree. At 22, with degree in hand, they are anxiuos to get started on that career and advance. However, by late 20s or early 30s they see there is more to life than work and career. They're wired differently than men. What they want is different, and the reality is they don't know it until it hits them up side the head at that point in time. IIWIi. They don't enter college and persue advanced degrees with the intent to walk away. It just happens often because it's who they are.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

I think you are reading the women wrong. At 18 they want a career and persue a degree. At 22, with degree in hand, they are anxiuos to get started on that career and advance. However, by late 20s or early 30s they see there is more to life than work and career. They're wired differently than men. What they want is different, and the reality is they don't know it until it hits them up side the head at that point in time. IIWIi. They don't enter college and persue advanced degrees with the intent to walk away. It just happens often because it's who they are.
I think we agree on that, my point is that it doesn't make sense for them to do so in many respects.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

The lucky or unsuccessful ones figure it out in their 20s or early 30s. The ones with some kind of career, slow learning, etc figure it out in their late 30s or early 40s and end up marrying a blue collar type/marrying down in hopes of kicking out a kid before infertility hits. They're set up for failure and depression early on by following feminist dreams. Nature is very cruel to them, the ones that make it to 50 without kids are a giant weeping ball of regret. They're also typically the successful career types and then that whole world falls apart too as it's not what they want. It's a form of abuse to down play or dismiss children when guiding young women.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

I think we agree on that, my point is that it doesn't make sense for them to do so in many respects.
In hindsight, yes. But at the time the career is what they want. Their priorities change over time more then mens do.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Women also find the reality of the workplace to be nothing like the fantasy. A woman at work once told me, “There is no such thing as the girl’s club at work”.

I used to work with a guy who in his younger days was ceo of a big private equity company. Very rich, powerful and a little sadistic. He put the reality of corporate life best, “competitors are an annoyance, but the real battle is always internal”. So true. It is a dogfight every day. The knives in my back are very real. I think women see this and are like “Peace out”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
ElbertoHokie

Post by ElbertoHokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:Women also find the reality of the workplace to be nothing like the fantasy. A woman at work once told me, “There is no such thing as the girl’s club at work”.

I used to work with a guy who in his younger days was ceo of a big private equity company. Very rich, powerful and a little sadistic. He put the reality of corporate life best, “competitors are an annoyance, but the real battle is always internal”. So true. It is a dogfight every day. The knives in my back are very real. I think women see this and are like “Peace out”.

Just took over a new plant. Fired one of the maintenance guys and his brother quit the next day. Everything else I've had to deal with has been cake. People are always the biggest issue. Two immediate relatives should never report to the same person.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:Women also find the reality of the workplace to be nothing like the fantasy. A woman at work once told me, “There is no such thing as the girl’s club at work”.

Just took over a new plant. Fired one of the maintenance guys and his brother quit the next day. Everything else I've had to deal with has been cake. People are always the biggest issue. Two immediate relatives should never report to the same person.
You'll be looking again in 3 months.
ElbertoHokie

Post by ElbertoHokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

Nah. Big raise. Easy manager to deal with. I'll be here for a while.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

Doubt they agree. "New sheriff in town" bit will get you the door.
ElbertoHokie

Post by ElbertoHokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

I got told by HR: "They should have been fired years ago." I've got a guy that retired 4 months ago asking to come back now that those two are gone. My boss fully agreed with the decision. Weak leadership before me.

You're a quality internet troll though.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

I got told by HR: "They should have been fired years ago." I've got a guy that retired 4 months ago asking to come back now that those two are gone. My boss fully agreed with the decision. Weak leadership before me.

You're a quality internet troll though.
Uh huh. That's what they always tell the Patsy.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

how dare you say men and women are different, you are on the list!
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

[Gulp!] Not "The List"! Please, no.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

[Gulp!] Not "The List"! Please, no.
you are the next one behind doritos :lol: