Hbo's upcoming " here and now" series

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HokieDan95

Hbo's upcoming " here and now" series

Post by HokieDan95 »

Might be the most nauseatingly pc show ever if this trailer is any indication
"What's best in life?","To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Re: Hbo's upcoming " here and now" series

Post by nolanvt »

LOL, Jesus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieDan95 wrote:Might be the most nauseatingly pc show ever if this trailer is any indication
WTF is that?
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Re: Hbo's upcoming

Post by HokieHam »

nolanvt wrote:LOL, Jesus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You’ll be glued to that.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieDan95 wrote:Might be the most nauseatingly pc show ever if this trailer is any indication
WTF is that?
Soyboy utopia. Ever since Sex in the City, HBO seems hell bent on only catering to the SJW urban audience. The people that run that company have zero understanding of what people are like outside the NYC/San Fran bubble. I guess its their prerogative, but I won't be paying a penny for that trash.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Good god, here's a summary of the 1st episode. It sounds as bad as the preview made it look. Who can relate to this sh!t? Sounds like the entire show is about hating Trump, devaluing white people, promoting risky lifestyles, and general debauchery.

I guess there are "woke" SJW millennials who will love this kind of bilge, but for the sake of the country, let's hope they are few & far between.

=============================================

New HBO Drama is Insufferably 'Progressive and Evolved'
By Amelia Hamilton | February 12, 2018 2:02 AM EST

Have you been looking to close out your weekend with a program that is insufferable and self-satisfied beyond measure? Then, boy, does HBO have the show for you!

Here and Now premiered February 11 with its pilot episode "Eleven, Eleven," which introduced us to the painfully enlightened Bayer-Boatwright family. If you wonder how much of a cliche the show is, it opens with a dude in a man bun riding his bike down the streets of Portland. Of course.

So, let's meet the family.

The patriarch is Greg Boatwright (lefty actor/activist Tim Robbins), also known as "H. Gregory Boatwright, Assistant Chair of the Philosophy Department" at an as-yet-unnamed university. It's the day of his 60th birthday party and he's in the midst of a midlife crisis, if his weekly visits to a prostitute are any indication. He is pressured into giving a speech at his party and let's just say it doesn't go well:
Greg: When I was young, I thought the purpose of life was to seek enlightenment, to use our minds, to try to imagine a better future... Bring light into the darkness. To reject fear and despair and cynicism... to honor intelligence and reason... to choose love. Love? I feel embarrassed even articulating that, because I look at the world... not even the world. Here, now, and all I see is ignorance, hatred, terror, and rage. We lost, folks. We lost. I look back on my partnership with this amazing woman and this great experiment that is our family and I wonder, I really do wonder, "Did any of it make any difference?"
If I understand correctly, Donald Trump won and it ruined his entire life and made his family meaningless to him? I also find it creepy that he looks at his family as an experiment, but it seems fairly clear that this is what he and his wife were doing when they adopted children from around the world, choosing countries that, as their son Duc Bayer-Boatright (Raymond Lee) put it, "America totally ****."

In fact, Duc and oldest daughter Ashley (Jerrika Hinton) explain some of the family dynamics to Ashley's coworker Randy through their description of their college aged brother Ramon, aka "Baby Jesus."
Ashley: Our brother, Baby Jesus, is from Colombia.
Randy: Your brother is not named Baby Jesus.
Duc: Well, we always called him that because our parents thought he was perfect.
Ashley: Still do.
Duc: Yeah, she never had to teach him how to speak English.
Ashley: Or learn how to deal with his **** hair.
Duc: Although, what's going on with his hair? It's ****--
Ashley: Uh-uh. He just-- He passed for white, right, since day one.
Duc: Well, he is white.
Ashley: White white. Yeah. Wasp white, like Mom and Dad. It just made things so much easier for them.
Duc: Yeah, and they just... relaxed. They became different people.
Ashley: Yeah, he never had to wear Colombian flag T-shirts or... serve Colombian food at his birthday parties.
Duc:He never had to do anything he didn't want to do.
Ashley: Uh-uh. But we're not bitter.
Duc: No.
Randy: Yeah, but it must be cool, having siblings from these exotic places.
Duc: It could've been, if we weren't so aware of being advertisements for how progressive and evolved our parents were.
Ashley: Mmm, How evolved she was. He never cared as much. He didn't.
Randy: So, Vietnam...
Duc: Mm-hmm.
Randy: And Lie-- Lib-- Libya? Libya.
Ashley: Liberia. And Colombia.
Duc: All places America totally ****.
Ashley: We also have a little sister who's their biological child. She is painfully white, like you.
So, we know that matriarch Audrey Bayer (Holly Hunter) is the one who is especially into being "progressive and evolved." She met her husband in the 1980s at a disarmament protest. She talks openly with her kids about past recreational drug use like it was just a cool thing she did and is a fairly one-dimensional combative feminist henpecking her husband and kids in middle age.

I loved that line by Duc about how Audrey used the kids as an advertisement for being progressive and evolved, because we all know the virtue-signaling of the American liberal. Duc is fairly insufferable, too, though. The man works as a "motivational architect," which is a more annoying way to say "life coach," which is already an annoying thing to say. He's also celibate for some unknown reason.

Oldest daughter Ashley (Jerrika Hinton) was originally named Subeedo by Greg and Audrey, but, she explains, "On my 18th birthday, I had it legally changed to the whitest name I could think of." In her job running a retail clothing website, she picks up a hot male model named Randy at work (that's who they're hanging out with in the clip above) because he tells her he has drugs then has her husband, Malcolm, get their daughter ready for the big 60th birthday party and meet them there. Yes, she brings the model with her. Duc finally tells Randy that Ashley is not going to have sex with him because she actually cares about her husband and "Ashley likes to play near fire, without ever getting close enough to actually get burned."

Audrey hates Malcolm and would be delighted for Ashley to set her marriage on fire because, as Duc once again exposits, "I think she married him to piss our mom off. He was a Republican... You know, before Trump." It's almost as though that line is supposed to give viewers permission to like Malcolm since he's not one of those Republicans. He's actually a great guy, helping with the kids, showing up to the party early to help a mother-in-law who treats him like garbage. It's the progressives who think the world revolve around them in this show (and in real life). So, with Ashley spending time with her actual husband, what is Randy going to do during this party? You're going to wish you hadn't asked.

Kristen Bayer-Boatwright (Sosie Bacon) is, as a high schooler, the youngest of the family. She's also the only biological child. Anyway, Kristen decides that she would like to lose her virginity in the middle of her dad's 60th birthday party and chooses Randy, a complete stranger, who is, apparently, cool with taking a teenager's virginity. As if none of this was odd enough, she introduces herself while wearing a horse's head mask and wears it through their entire sexual encounter. He never even mentions the fact that she is walking around in a horse head mask, so I guess he is pretty odd, too. She's supposedly just wearing it to be silly but, as she told her brother Ramon Bayer-Boatwright (Daniel Zavatto), she doesn't feel as special as the other siblings because she is just...white. She is in the midst of getting her DNA tested "'cause maybe there's a tiny percentage of something interesting in there."

For those of you keeping tabs, that means that they have a child from every major racial category, but what else is missing? That's right - a gay child. Well, worry no more, because Ramon is gay! In fact, he gets a new fella in this very episode who he decides will be the first man he ever brings home to his parents except, on the way to the birthday party, they have to stop for sex. They get to the party eventually and Ramon starts to hallucinate during his dad's speech. That's right - it looks like he also has a mental illness. It's as though the writers realized they still has a few social justice boxes to check and threw them all at poor old Ramon.

So, that's it. That's the Bayer-Boatwright family. Can you think of a worse way to spend your Sunday evening than with these people?

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/cultu ... nd-evolved

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

That's what I imagine the plot to a TV series written by Justin "peoplekind" Trudeau would sound like.
UpstateSCHokie wrote:Good god, here's a summary of the 1st episode. It sounds as bad as the preview made it look. Who can relate to this sh!t? Sounds like the entire show is about hating Trump, devaluing white people, promoting risky lifestyles, and general debauchery.

I guess there are "woke" SJW millennials who will love this kind of bilge, but for the sake of the country, let's hope they are few & far between.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

In a way it sounds like they are satirizing the progressive, SJW perspective.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:In a way it sounds like they are satirizing the progressive, SJW perspective.
We thought the same of nolan for a while but look how that turned out...

I think the cast (Tim Robbins???) negates the possibility of this being satire.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

I did not know anything about the show, flipped it on last night....yea it is way progressive and rather depressing. I will be skipping it going forward, that is one effed up family.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

I gave it a whirl last night. What the hell I was bored and still coming off the previous evenings mega high. :D

The show is a convoluted mess. It almost seemed like 25 stories coming at you at once and not staying with any one of them to make a lick of sense.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:I gave it a whirl last night. What the hell I was bored and still coming off the previous evenings mega high. :D

The show is a convoluted mess. It almost seemed like 25 stories coming at you at once and not staying with any one of them to make a lick of sense.
It's for liberals, that's how their mind works. I'm sure it connected with the target audience of simpletons thinking they're in a post apocalyptic world brought on by Trump.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Major Kong wrote:I gave it a whirl last night. What the hell I was bored and still coming off the previous evenings mega high. :D

Yea, that was my problem also, very hard to follow and figure out what was happening
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Like most new shows they probably tried to introduce each character with their own story in the first episode. Makes for a hodge podge storyline(s).
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Is this supposed to be a comedy or a drama? If its supposed to be a serious drama, then someone who is interested in real comedy (not hateful insults against Republicans) could make a hilarious parody of this. Or maybe its just (unintentionally) funny on its own. I don't have HBO so I wouldn't know.

============================================

Obnoxious Lefty HBO Show Bemoans 'Today's Reality' is 'Fascism'
By Amelia Hamilton | February 26, 2018 12:40 AM EST

HBO's new drama Here and Now has basically become a parody of the left. It's full of trendy social justice themes, buzzwords, and Chicken Little-style angst that the sky is most certainly falling. The show could use the exact same storylines, even the same script, and come up with a hilarious satire about self-important liberals in the Pacific Northwest.

The Bayer-Boatwright family is made up of an academic father, a mother who is some kind of empathy trainer in a high school, one biological daughter, and three children adopted from countries that their parents felt had been wronged by America. Honestly. So, let's check in to see what they were up to this week.

The third episode, "If a Deer S... in the Woods," that aired on February 25, gets its title from what the family patriarch Greg Boatwright (Tim Robbins) experiences. Namely, he follows a deer into the woods and watches it perform a certain biological necessity and finds it terribly meaningful for no apparent reason. After then spending the night in the woods, he rolls into a panel he is supposed to be on (debating a man named Rousseau, because this show knows no subtlety) very late and very disheveled before taking his seat. Thomas Rousseau is saying that he believes we need to remain optimistic. Boatwright very much does not agree.

[Language warning]
Greg: Anxiety is a completely appropriate response to today's reality, Thomas. And anger. What do you want? People just to swallow the sh!t that they're in? By the way, when the f*ck did we criminalize outrage?

Thomas: Greg, the point I make is not dissimilar from the one that you laid out in your first and... only book.

Greg: Bullshit. I never said anyone should be optimistic in the face of fascism.

Thomas: "It is now, in this troubling moment, that we must always choose joy for us, for those we love, and for the entire world." These are your words, Greg. Was the world any less challenging when they were published 30 years ago?

Greg: Thirty years ago, truth was still truth, a fact was a fact, but we're not that society anymore. The world got turned upside down.
Do liberals really want to go toe-to-toe on who thrives on facts and who lives on feelings, because I'm not sure they'd appreciate the results. Which would be entirely factual.

This week we also find out that the high school where Audrey (Holly Hunter) counsels students on empathy is a magnet school. Is it a coincidence that these things are happening at a school choice school? I'll let you be the judge. You may recall from the last episode that the white students wanted to form a club like those which students of other ethnicities have to celebrate their heritage. Audrey spoke to the students and, after a few statements beginning with "I feel," the white kids saw the light and immediately withdrew their application to become a club. However, now an effigy of a black person has been hanged from a tree wearing a sign reading, "I feel dead," and Audrey is pretty sure they two are connected.

If these types of things were actually happening in real life, they would be terrible, but they aren't. They would be all over the news 24/7. Instead, we have students "frightened" by banana peels and a lot of hoaxes. Nothing close to dead effigies which would, obviously, be disgusting. What's also disgusting here is that they're making it seem like this is how white students really would react to not being able to have their own club.

Audrey is interviewed by the local news and says that she believes the students behind the effigy, should they be caught, should be counseled rather than incarcerated. In response, a black student says, "This is a hate crime. The perpetrators should be prosecuted while hate crimes are still against the law." Does anyone have any reason to believe that crimes, hate or otherwise, are not going to be against the law soon? I think I would have heard about it. Again, excellent Chicken Little-ing, Here and Now. Bravo.

In response to the effigy, a flier goes up around school reading, "The Polk Academy Chapter of United in Diversity Invites everyone to its inaugural meeting to discuss the recent hate crime here." The students of color then promptly ask the white students to leave. The youngest Bayer-Boatwright, Kristen (Sosie Bacon) calls them out on their hypocrisy saying, "I don't think you're using 'diverse' right. I mean, 'diverse' is all of us together, isn't it?" United in Diversity group doesn't care and the white kids end up leaving.

Meanwhile, the eldest siblings are all getting together for dinner at Ashley's (Jerrika Hinton) house. Her daughter is playing with her Asian brother Duc (Raymond Lee) while Ashley's white husband Malcolm (Joe Williamson) cooks. Duc points out, "Oh, I just noticed, there's three people of color here and a white boy cooking. I like those odds." Malcolm responds, "Future of America, right here!" I would prefer an American future wherein we didn't think of everything in terms of race. One in which somebody could cook and other people could play with kids and it didn't matter what color anybody was. That sounds far more pleasant, but Here and Now can't have that.

As long as nobody had fun, it's a successful week of HBO's most overworked show. So, they nailed it.

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/cultu ... ys-fascism