Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Re: Trump Budget Would Scrap Food Stamps

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:What is going to be the added administrative cost of the government procuring food? There is a lot to it. And is this cost going to consume any potential savings (the government can't do anything efficiently)?
There’s still a lot of cushion in the savings for Gov inefficiency.
It does sound good in theory, though. The bigger issues with programs like this usually come from food quality.
I can't imagine that there is any savings. The govt. isn't going to ship food to people. That's inefficient and cost prohibitive, and people are too mobile. So are they going to set up pick-up centers? Again inefficient and cost prohibitive. Are they going to bulk purchase thru grocery stores and have it boxed for pickup? Very cumbersome. Who is allowed to make tge pick up? What about all the low income areas without grocery stores? Plus, the grocery business is high volume, low profit margin, so again i don't see where any cost savings will come from.
My buddy CFB will disagree here, but it is reasonable to question whether this administration has the commitment and the competence to carry this through.

As has been mentioned, this could just as easily be a project from the left. It's all in the branding, and the person executing it.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Vienna_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: libertarian

Post by Vienna_Hokie »

As usual the answer is simple so it will never happen.

Require any retailer who accept EBT cards to provide detailed POS data on what was purchased (UPC scans) and have a system in place that will limit the purchase to a set of defined staples. Milk, bread, certain meats, certain cheese, etc. No junk food, no tv dinners, no prepared food, no processed crap. That will get rid of all the signs in front of the gas and go shops that say they accept EBT cards and will force people to buy decent food. I would also do a nicotine skin swap test on every person when they come in to pick up their cards every month (yes they should have to come get a card every month, not like they have anything else to do all day) and if they have nicotine on their skin they get a cut in benefits equal to the cost of a pack of cigs a day. If you can afford cigarettes you don't need money for food.

People on food stamps don't make good choices in life....which is why they are on food stamps. Giving them money with almost no limitations and expecting them to make good decisions with it is just stupid.
Looks like the only thing 1984 got wrong was the date.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Vienna_Hokie wrote:As usual the answer is simple so it will never happen.

Require any retailer who accept EBT cards to provide detailed POS data on what was purchased (UPC scans) and have a system in place that will limit the purchase to a set of defined staples. Milk, bread, certain meats, certain cheese, etc. No junk food, no tv dinners, no prepared food, no processed crap. That will get rid of all the signs in front of the gas and go shops that say they accept EBT cards and will force people to buy decent food. I would also do a nicotine skin swap test on every person when they come in to pick up their cards every month (yes they should have to come get a card every month, not like they have anything else to do all day) and if they have nicotine on their skin they get a cut in benefits equal to the cost of a pack of cigs a day. If you can afford cigarettes you don't need money for food.

People on food stamps don't make good choices in life....which is why they are on food stamps. Giving them money with almost no limitations and expecting them to make good decisions with it is just stupid.
Dang, nothing like a heavy handed state!
Vienna_Hokie

Post by Vienna_Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:

Able bodied people that take from those that produce in a society should feel shame. That's what is wrong with our welfare state, it is viewed as owed not given. The poor in this country are obese. That alone should tell you the system is broken.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Vienna_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Able bodied people that take from those that produce in a society should feel shame. That's what is wrong with our welfare state, it is viewed as owed not given. The poor in this country are obese. That alone should tell you the system is broken.
I'm confused, are they obese or able bodied?
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Vienna_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Absurd generalities on your part. You see no need for us as a society to help those less fortunate? You want to actually shame them? Sorry, but you're a heartless POS. I hope you never fall on hard times.
Vienna_Hokie

Post by Vienna_Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
Vienna_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Absurd generalities on your part. You see no need for us as a society to help those less fortunate? You want to actually shame them? Sorry, but you're a heartless POS. I hope you never fall on hard times.
Daily observations of people who should feel shame for being too lazy to get up and earn a living. Buying cartons of cigarettes with cash and tv dinners with their EBT cards. Buying convenience store pizza for $3 a slice and a 64OZ pop with their EBT cards. What is heartless is a system that takes away the incentive for people to take care of themselves and takes money from the truly needy. Those of you who want to hand out money to people for the rest of their lives because they are lazy are truly heartless POS's because you enslave people in a perpetual hell to make you feel better about yourself.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
Vienna_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Aren’t you a Republican too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
Vienna_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Absurd generalities.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieHam wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
Vienna_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Absurd generalities.
FTR, I thought POS was a little harsh.

USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
Vienna_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

I'm confused, are they obese or able bodied?
Why can't they be both?
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
Vienna_Hokie wrote:

Absurd generalities.
FTR, I thought POS was a little harsh.

Fair enough
Bay_area_Hokie
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

The truth is poor people aren’t just poor in terms of money. They are poor in a lot of things, the main thing being knowledge. Knowledge that gets you a job, how money works, health, what a mortgage is, , etc, everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:The truth is poor people aren’t just poor in terms of money. They are poor in a lot of things, the main thing being knowledge. Knowledge that gets you a job, how money works, health, what a mortgage is, , etc, everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep. Hence why there are almost never happy stories about someone winning the lottery...and why giving aid to countries like Haiti just makes things worse.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

133743Hokie wrote:
Vienna_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

He didn't say we shouldn't help people. And btw, unless you've worked with these populations, you've no clue what you're talking about. That may sound harsh, but it's the truth.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson