LA Painting Streets White to Combat Climate Change.

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

LA Painting Streets White to Combat Climate Change.

Post by USN_Hokie »

Only $40k/mile. Graffiti artists will have a field day and I can't wait for the unintended consequences.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/10/lo ... hange.html
cwtcr hokie

Re: LA Painting Streets White to Combat Climate Change.

Post by cwtcr hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:Only $40k/mile. Graffiti artists will have a field day and I can't wait for the unintended consequences.

meanwhile their dams collapse and bridges collapse but painting a street that will be defaced immediately and the paint will not last near as long as predicted if the street has any traffic. I assume wheel spinning on the street is against the law as it would make it black again..... racist!!!!!
Mcl3 Hokie

Post by Mcl3 Hokie »

Wonderful idea :roll: maybe they can get some welfare kings and queens jobs to do this. I doubt there’s much traing to spread paint.
USN_Hokie wrote:Only $40k/mile. Graffiti artists will have a field day and I can't wait for the unintended consequences.

Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

I have a friend who had a family cabin deep in the woods. They had no hot water heater so they put a black pvc pipe on the roof, pumped water into it, and it heated the water enough for showers.

So, I guess this means I understand the power of color on heat, but unless all the car tires were white I think they will be dark gray soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:I have a friend who had a family cabin deep in the woods. They had no hot water heater so they put a black pvc pipe on the roof, pumped water into it, and it heated the water enough for showers.

So, I guess this means I understand the power of color on heat, but unless all the car tires were white I think they will be dark gray soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FWIW, I've never seen a white street in LA. Not sure how many of these actually exist. In our neighborhood, if the streets get to hot, we just open up the hoses on then and let 'em rip. Water shortage my butt.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Well white colored streets after Labor Day is gauche :!:
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

That can't possibly be a net win for the climate, can it? The trucks they are hauling it in produce pollution. They probably produce greenhouse gasses when they make the stuff. And there's the potential of runoff on the rare occasion it rains. This just doesn't seem like a net win.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

BigDave wrote:That can't possibly be a net win for the climate, can it? The trucks they are hauling it in produce pollution. They probably produce greenhouse gasses when they make the stuff. And there's the potential of runoff on the rare occasion it rains. This just doesn't seem like a net win.
its Kali, stupidity is required in all decisions
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

BigDave wrote:That can't possibly be a net win for the climate, can it? The trucks they are hauling it in produce pollution. They probably produce greenhouse gasses when they make the stuff. And there's the potential of runoff on the rare occasion it rains. This just doesn't seem like a net win.
It's not actually paint. It's a sealant. Asphalt has to be sealed on a regular basis, so they are using this product instead of standard asphalt sealant. The CoolSeal they are using is water based, while most sealants are polymer based, so the runoff effect is more environmentally friendly. No net impact from the trucks since they have to haul whatever sealant they're using anyway. Same with the production, no net impact.
And by using reflective surfaces, it reduces ground temps, which means less heat coming from the ground at night, which lowers A/C bills.
It's a trial to test the actual impacts, I don't see why anyone has an issue with testing out things like this.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
It's not actually paint. It's a sealant. Asphalt has to be sealed on a regular basis, so they are using this product instead of standard asphalt sealant. The CoolSeal they are using is water based, while most sealants are polymer based, so the runoff effect is more environmentally friendly. No net impact from the trucks since they have to haul whatever sealant they're using anyway. Same with the production, no net impact.
And by using reflective surfaces, it reduces ground temps, which means less heat coming from the ground at night, which lowers A/C bills.
It's a trial to test the actual impacts, I don't see why anyone has an issue with testing out things like this.
Most asphalt paved roads are not sealed.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

The whole thing is probably just a crony kick-back to the friends/family of bureaucrats.

My question is how this can be safe? If the paint isn't porous, it will become slippery as hell when it gets wet. If it is porous, it will become stained in no time (waste of money).
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
yes people seal their driveways as they do not get the wear and tear roads do and do not have to be re-paved as normal roads do. Roads and streets do not get sealed, they pave them, then the wear and tear create problems and they are re-paved, never sealed. My issue is the wasted dollars spent for it, total waste. The earth is changing, painting some roads white at a large dollar expenditure will do nothing to stop the planet from changing
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
Don't pretend this isn't an absurd waste.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
I don't see how a water soluble solution would be better as it'll dissolve and run into the water system where as an alcohol based one won't.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Techmomof2
Alma Mater: Penn State

Post by Techmomof2 »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
I don't see how a water soluble solution would be better as it'll dissolve and run into the water system where as an alcohol based one won't.
If only the Left paid for it.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Some ideas just have bong hits written all over them
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

HokieFanDC wrote:
Oh good- it's free right? doesn't cost the taxpayer a dime? I'm sure. And you ask why "anyone" would have an issue wasting a colossal amount of money. Think about that when your state taxes get raised to pay for this disaster.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

CFB Apologist wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
Oh good- it's free right? doesn't cost the taxpayer a dime? I'm sure. And you ask why "anyone" would have an issue wasting a colossal amount of money. Think about that when your state taxes get raised to pay for this disaster.
They live in a desert, anything to cool down and feel good.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
I didn't say it's water soluble.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
I didn't say it's water soluble.
Water based is water soluble.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
I'm not pretending, or claiming anything. It's a trial. If it works, and they produce in larger quantities, price goes down.
It's supposed to increase the durability of the roads, and it is skid tested.

I'm definitely skeptical, but it's funny watching people get their panties in a wad over a trial. I know, California. It's a huge trigger for some folks.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
I'm not pretending, or claiming anything. It's a trial. If it works, and they produce in larger quantities, price goes down.

I'm definitely skeptical, but it's funny watching people get their panties in a wad over a trial. I know, California. It's a huge trigger for some folks.
SHOW ME THE MONEY!!! it's about the complete waste of TAXPAYER DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and common sense will tell you it will be a graffiti heavan and that it will be far from white in a few months, thus a waste of TAXPAYER DOLLARS
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

angry old men.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Trial? Give me a break. How are they going to judge effectiveness at combating goreball whining? :lol:

That must be some good kool-aid.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

angry old men.
I know you have to actually pay taxes to be irritated when they are wasted, so it is good to know that you are a taker, not a giver. I have to prepare for your detailed response now.....