So, tell me. Why is wealth inequality a bad thing?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Hokie5150

So, tell me. Why is wealth inequality a bad thing?

Post by Hokie5150 »

Provided that wealth is created/obtained legally, where is the harm if one is super wealthy and another is not?
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: So, tell me. Why is wealth inequality a bad thing?

Post by awesome guy »

Hokie5150 wrote:Provided that wealth is created/obtained legally, where is the harm if one is super wealthy and another is not?
Because some people decided a life of crime and keeping it real was more important than going to college and those people deserve the same income as the guy that decided a life of delayed gratification would make them rich.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

from a government standpoint... i think wealth inequality is only important when deciding tax tables.

from a moral prospective, i think too much wealth is sin. but its not the government's place to legislate morality.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of capitalism government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

Hokie5150 wrote:Provided that wealth is created/obtained legally, where is the harm if one is super wealthy and another is not?
In a vacuum, you're right it's not a bad thing in and of itself. However, it points to an asymmetry in our social construct. It means that there may be structural biases that tend to favor the few over the many.

The bigger question is how one would structure a society from scratch? What is the end goal of a successful society? I think most of us would say that the most successful society is one in which everyone has their basic provisions met, and where certain inalienable rights are not restricted.

Clearly, our society does not meet the former criterion, and the work of policy is, in my opinion, to ensure it is met while safeguarding the latter.
Last edited by VisorBoy on Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
VoiceOfReason
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Every chance I get

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Wealth inequality in and of itself is not a bad thing. If everyone had enough wealth to live on... who cares? The issue comes when you have millions of people living below the poverty line. If trickle down economics really worked... and a rising tide raised all boats... you would never hear of income inequality.
Florida Hokie
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

Actually, that you chose "harm" versus "fair" is interesting. One could argue that, while it is perfectly fair for someone to be super wealthy and another to not be super wealthy, harm can, in fact, result. Again, throw fairness out of the equation. If wealth is amassed by only a few, to the degree that amassed wealth does not create any benefit beyond the earnings of its owner, then it could, in fact, be harmful. Bill Gates applies a lot of his amassed wealth to global health missions (Polio eradication and education being among them.) Gates is able to do this because of his amassed wealth. For a non-Gates type, that hoards his/her wealth, and only creates benefit to himself/herself, then one could argue that harm results. When someone has an excess amount above and beyond even the most luxurious of needs, then that person is holding back a possible benefit for others.

Again, this is no argument that the hoarder should be compelled to do so. This is simply a matter of discussion around the word "harm." That someone would have the means to resolve the problem for others, but does not do so, for those that potentially could benefit, harm could result.

Now - sling your capitalist, individualist bows my friends.

Interesting question.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

VisorBoy wrote:
In a vacuum, you're right it's not a bad thing in and of itself. However, it points to an asymmetry in our social construct. It means that there may be structural biases that tend to favor the few over the many.

The bigger question is how one would structure a society from scratch? What is the end goal of a successful society? I think most of us would say that the most successful society is one in which everyone has their basic provisions met, and where certain inalienable rights are not restricted.

Clearly, our society does not meet the former criterion, and the work of policy is, in my opinion, to ensure it is met while safeguarding the latter.

ever consider that you have it all backwards and the responsibility of the individual to ensure their basic needs are met?
RoswellGAHokie

Post by RoswellGAHokie »

The "trickle down" strawman.

Please name me one politician or economist who advocated for trickle down economics.

VoiceOfReason wrote:
Wealth inequality in and of itself is not a bad thing. If everyone had enough wealth to live on... who cares? The issue comes when you have millions of people living below the poverty line. If trickle down economics really worked... and a rising tide raised all boats... you would never hear of income inequality.
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

awesome guy wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:

ever consider that you have it all backwards and the responsibility of the individual to ensure their basic needs are met?
How does that have anything to do with what I wrote?
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

VisorBoy wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:

I think most of us would say that the most successful society is one in which everyone has their basic provisions met
that wasn't you?
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

awesome guy wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:

I think most of us would say that the most successful society is one in which everyone has their basic provisions met
that wasn't you?
And where did I indicate how those are provided?
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

VisorBoy wrote:And where did I indicate how those are provided?
how one would structure a society from scratch?
Society doesn't provide for the individual.
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

awesome guy wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:And where did I indicate how those are provided?
how one would structure a society from scratch?
Society doesn't provide for the individual.
You're missing my point. If we were to build a society from scratch, the mark of success would be that all people have their basic provisions provided without trampling on others' rights. That says nothing about HOW the provisions are provided.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

It's not -- wealth isn't a zero sum game
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
Trickle down has/does work. Those in poverty today are better off than a generation ago, and they are a better off than the generation before. No one, I repeat no one, goes hungry in the US if they are willing to accept the help/aid that is out there. No one, I repeat no one, doesn't have shelter if they are willing to accept the assistance that is out there. No one, i repeat no one, doesn't have access to medical care if they want it.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Florida Hokie wrote:
Actually, that you chose "harm" versus "fair" is interesting. One could argue that, while it is perfectly fair for someone to be super wealthy and another to not be super wealthy, harm can, in fact, result. Again, throw fairness out of the equation. If wealth is amassed by only a few, to the degree that amassed wealth does not create any benefit beyond the earnings of its owner, then it could, in fact, be harmful. Bill Gates applies a lot of his amassed wealth to global health missions (Polio eradication and education being among them.) Gates is able to do this because of his amassed wealth. For a non-Gates type, that hoards his/her wealth, and only creates benefit to himself/herself, then one could argue that harm results. When someone has an excess amount above and beyond even the most luxurious of needs, then that person is holding back a possible benefit for others.

Again, this is no argument that the hoarder should be compelled to do so. This is simply a matter of discussion around the word "harm." That someone would have the means to resolve the problem for others, but does not do so, for those that potentially could benefit, harm could result.

Interesting question.
Not doing good does not create harm.
Florida Hokie
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:

Interesting question.
Not doing good does not create harm.
No, it doesn't "create" harm but it most certainly enables it. Apathy. Think bystander effect.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

I would go so far as to say that wealth equality is a bad thing.
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

RoswellGAHokie wrote:The "trickle down" strawman.

Please name me one politician or economist who advocated for trickle down economics.

VoiceOfReason wrote:
What is with conservatives? Google "trickle down economics" yourself... you will find lots of references to Reaganomics... do your own damn homework.
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Major Kong wrote:Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of capitalism government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
All Hail King Arthur! :mrgreen:
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

133743Hokie wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:
Trickle down has/does work. Those in poverty today are better off than a generation ago, and they are a better off than the generation before. No one, I repeat no one, goes hungry in the US if they are willing to accept the help/aid that is out there. No one, I repeat no one, doesn't have shelter if they are willing to accept the assistance that is out there. No one, i repeat no one, doesn't have access to medical care if they want it.
How can you possibly make such a conclusion?

Many would love to receive assistance but can't either because they don't know how to or can't do it themselves.

The numbers are telling...

http://feedingamerica.org/hunger-in-ame ... stics.aspx
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
When you consider that even the poorest of the poor in the USA would be considered among the wealthiest people in the land if the visited a third world nation, I would argue that the rising tide DOES raise all boats. Everyone in this country does, indeed, have their needs met and they still manage to get trivial wants, like that new X-Box One and cable television. Most Americans have a microwave oven. They have hot water, indoor plumbing, a FLOOR. These things are all considered the luxuries of wealth in many (most?) countries.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

133743Hokie wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:
OK... and which party wants to take away this safety net again?

Is that safety net that does all the things you mention there because of trickle down economics? Or is it there because of policies enacted by Democrats?
Jack Galt
Party: none of the above

Post by Jack Galt »

VisorBoy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:
How can you possibly make such a conclusion?

Many would love to receive assistance but can't either because they don't know how to or can't do it themselves.

The numbers are telling...

http://feedingamerica.org/hunger-in-ame ... stics.aspx
Not to be argumentative, pretty much every church is in contact with assistance agencies to help the poor if they don't do that type of work directly.
"Russia? The 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back because the Cold War’s been over for 20 years.” - B. Obama