Washington & Lee to remove Confederate Flag

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Washington & Lee to remove Confederate Flag

Post by nolanvt »

from Lee Chapel after student protests. Be outraged accordingly, UWSers.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/local/educa ... story.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Re: Washington & Lee to remove Confederate Flag

Post by Major Kong »

Meh I'm pretty sure I'll not lose any sleep over it. :)
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

nolanvt wrote:from Lee Chapel after student protests. Be outraged accordingly, UWSers.

I'm not going to be outraged, but I do think it's silly to apologize for a practice that was commonplace 200 years ago, when none of us were alive.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

They better get rid of "Lee" too while they're at it, then.
HokieDan95

Post by HokieDan95 »

As much as I find this political correctness exercise annoying, Lee was not really a patriot of the Confederacy.
"What's best in life?","To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

Major Kong wrote:Meh I'm pretty sure I'll not lose any sleep over it. :)
Me neither. Some will, though.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

HokieDan95 wrote:As much as I find this political correctness exercise annoying, Lee was not really a patriot of the Confederacy.
Not sure I understand this post. :?:
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

nolanvt wrote:from Lee Chapel after student protests. Be outraged accordingly, UWSers.

Northern aggression continues. Ha. Outraged? Meh. Saddened by the state of things? Sure.
Salute the Marines
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

Not outraged, but I can't help but laugh at anyone who would wish to attend Washington and Lee University and then decide to be offended by Lee's legacy.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

I assume you support this white-washing of history?

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

RiverguyVT wrote:
HokieDan95 wrote:As much as I find this political correctness exercise annoying, Lee was not really a patriot of the Confederacy.
He means Lee opposed secession. He would have remained in the Union Army if Lincoln hadn't raised an army to invade his home state of Virginia. That is where Lee's loyalty resided. He was a patriot of Virginia, not the Confederacy.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Hokie CPA wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
He means Lee opposed secession. He would have remained in the Union Army if Lincoln hadn't raised an army to invade his home state of Virginia. That is where Lee's loyalty resided. He was a patriot of Virginia, not the Confederacy.
that's a mighty fine hair to attempt splitting. I'd suggest that, as he watched the valor of the boys from SC, GA, AL & MS, he likely very much felt a part of them.
Salute the Marines
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

RiverguyVT wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
that's a mighty fine hair to attempt splitting. I'd suggest that, as he watched the valor of the boys from SC, GA, AL & MS, he likely very much felt a part of them.
Not really...back then States meant something. Today? Not so much...
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Hokie5150 wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
Oh, clearly. But that doesn't mean Lee wasn't also a patriot of the Confederacy. Yes, he led the "army of northern Va"..but answered to Jeff Davis. I think I get what 95 was saying, though.

Clearly, Lee was a Virginian first.
That doesn't mean he wasn't Confederate, though
Salute the Marines
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:

Such a flawed question. The implication of it is that removing the flag represents a white-washing of history. So, your question is not a yes/no question at this point.

Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

nolanvt wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

Such a flawed question. The implication of it is that removing the flag represents a white-washing of history. So, your question is not a yes/no question at this point.

Isn't it, though. Removing the flag doesn't change the history of the school in any way.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

Hokie5150 wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

Isn't it, though. Removing the flag doesn't change the history of the school in any way.
Agreed.

HokieDan95

Post by HokieDan95 »

Lee opposed the war and urged reconciliation in public speaking engagements after it. Embittered Southerners didn't want to hear it.
RiverguyVT wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
Oh, clearly. But that doesn't mean Lee wasn't also a patriot of the Confederacy. Yes, he led the "army of northern Va"..but answered to Jeff Davis. I think I get what 95 was saying, though.

Clearly, Lee was a Virginian first.
That doesn't mean he wasn't Confederate, though
"What's best in life?","To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

I get not wanting the confederate flag around. For better or worse, it's become a symbol of racism for many, many people. The KKK hijacked it and most people, without a full context of history, presume that the Civil War was the war over slavery. IIWII

I don't get asking for apologies regarding policies and individuals from over a hundred years ago. What good does that do?
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

BG Hokie wrote:

I get not wanting the confederate flag around. For better or worse, it's become a symbol of racism for many, many people. The KKK hijacked it and most people, without a full context of history, presume that the Civil War was the war over slavery. IIWII

I don't get asking for apologies regarding policies and individuals from over a hundred years ago. What good does that do?
Yeah, I'm kind of apathetic in terms of flying the flag at a private school. Like another poster said, the school has Lee's name on it. What did you expect? If they want to remove the flag, meh. Who cares?

Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

BG Hokie wrote:I get not wanting the confederate flag around. For better or worse, it's become a symbol of racism for many, many people. The KKK hijacked it and most people, without a full context of history, presume that the Civil War was the war over slavery. IIWII
If one wish to be offended by a flag's link to slavery, they should be far more offended by this one:
SuwaneeTim820
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

BG Hokie wrote:most people, without a full context of history, presume that the Civil War was the war over slavery.
Included among those "most people" are about 95% of Civil War historians.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:most people, without a full context of history, presume that the Civil War was the war over slavery.
Have a link for that?

Dr. Robertson (recognized by his peers as one of, if not THE, foremost authorities on the Civil War, would refute what you suggest.
SuwaneeTim820

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

hokie80 wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
Have a link for that?

Dr. Robertson (recognized by his peers as one of, if not THE, foremost authorities on the Civil War, would refute what you suggest.
One of, if not THE, foremost authority on the Civil War is Pulitzer Prize winning historian and Professor Emeritus of United States History at Princeton University James M. McPherson who said, “Probably 90 percent, maybe 95 percent of serious historians of the Civil War would agree on the broad questions of what the war was about and what brought it about and what caused it, which was the increasing polarization of the country between the free states and the slave states over issues of slavery, especially the expansion of slavery.”

http://www.psmag.com/navigation/books-a ... ery-26265/
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

hokie80 wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
Have a link for that?

Does Dr. robertson's dixie poo stink like Yankee poo?

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.