Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
RWNJ
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Poll:Nearly 1 in 4 in US would favor secession

Post by RWNJ »

If we ever get a president like this again, I would definitely favor secession. And I think the combo of NM, AZ and TX would be a good start.

Nearly one out of four Americans is so fed up with Washington that they are prepared to not take it anymore and would favor their state breaking away from the rest of the United States.

According to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released Friday, 23.9 percent of Americans polled from Aug. 23 through Sept. 16 said they strongly supported or tended to support the idea of their state breaking away from the country. About 53 percent of the 8,952 respondents strongly opposed or tended to oppose secession, slightly less than the percentage that kept Scotland in the United Kingdom.

Support for secession cuts across many lines, the poll found, but the West and Southwest, where the vision of rugged individualism still draws praise, seemed more inclined to back separation than the staid New England area. Younger and poorer folks were more likely to want to run for the exit.

Politically, conservatives and Republicans seem to like the idea of leaving more than Democrats. Among people who said they identified with the tea party, supporters of secession were actually in the majority, with 53 percent.

Before you start thinking about flipping around the nation’s motto from E pluribus unum to E unum pluribus, consider that the United States has long been a country having to cope with sectional, emotional, economic, racial and gender splits.

Hostilities between the North and South grated even as everyone was fighting the British, culminated in the Civil War, and, some would argue, continue to simmer. The expansion westward meant expanding the range of disputes between a frontier and the folks back on the East Coast.

The exact wording of the question was, “Do you support or oppose the idea of your state peacefully withdrawing from the United States of America and the federal government?”

The poll has a margin of error of 1.2 percentage points.
We lived through Obama, you'll live through Trump
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU

Re: Poll:Nearly 1 in 4 in US would favor secession

Post by Major Kong »

I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

RWNJ

Post by RWNJ »

Dunno, but Oro Vallley would become an island of pubs in a sea of libs.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

RWNJ wrote:If we ever get a president like this again, I would definitely favor secession. And I think the combo of NM, AZ and TX would be a good start.

Nearly one out of four Americans is so fed up with Washington that they are prepared to not take it anymore and would favor their state breaking away from the rest of the United States.

According to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released Friday, 23.9 percent of Americans polled from Aug. 23 through Sept. 16 said they strongly supported or tended to support the idea of their state breaking away from the country. About 53 percent of the 8,952 respondents strongly opposed or tended to oppose secession, slightly less than the percentage that kept Scotland in the United Kingdom.

Support for secession cuts across many lines, the poll found, but the West and Southwest, where the vision of rugged individualism still draws praise, seemed more inclined to back separation than the staid New England area. Younger and poorer folks were more likely to want to run for the exit.

Politically, conservatives and Republicans seem to like the idea of leaving more than Democrats. Among people who said they identified with the tea party, supporters of secession were actually in the majority, with 53 percent.

Before you start thinking about flipping around the nation’s motto from E pluribus unum to E unum pluribus, consider that the United States has long been a country having to cope with sectional, emotional, economic, racial and gender splits.

Hostilities between the North and South grated even as everyone was fighting the British, culminated in the Civil War, and, some would argue, continue to simmer. The expansion westward meant expanding the range of disputes between a frontier and the folks back on the East Coast.

The exact wording of the question was, “Do you support or oppose the idea of your state peacefully withdrawing from the United States of America and the federal government?”

I'd favor those states seceding as long as I didn't have to live there.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
RWNJ

Post by RWNJ »

nolanvt wrote:
RWNJ wrote:If we ever get a president like this again, I would definitely favor secession. And I think the combo of NM, AZ and TX would be a good start.

You're in luck, they wouldn't want you.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

RWNJ wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Woohoo!
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

RWNJ wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Who wouldn't want Ruby Rhod?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

If there's a secession, I hope SC goes with Texas.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

This is what overwhelming the system looks like.

If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:

Me too. What are you free-loading necks waiting on?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

I thought of you on Friday. I had a connecting flight at the Newark airport. I looked around and thought "wow, what a sh!t hole NY/NJ is." I'm glad folks like yourself find it appealing and are happy there.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

I thought of you on Friday. I had a connecting flight at the Newark airport. I looked around and thought "wow, what a sh!t hole NY/NJ is." I'm glad folks like yourself find it appealing and are happy there.
Newark is indeed a shithole. I will not argue with you there.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.